Author Topic: Agents only for kids  (Read 4531 times)

Offline mhender668

Agents only for kids
« on: December 15, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
I have a horror novel that I'm about to query. I have a list of about 21 agents who claim to represent horror. Out of those agents, two seem to be genuinely interested in horror. The vast majority of the agents I have seen so far on this site are apparently interested only in YA, children, or middle grade. Does anyone know any agents who specialize in adult horror? Maybe that's why Stephanie Meyer wrote about teeny bopper vampires, rather than honest-to-god evil bastages like Nosferatu.

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
Re: Agents only for kids
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
Have you checked the listings at AgentQuery as well? Not all of them duplicate the listings on QT, and you can search by genre. (You are using the QT database, aren't you?)

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
You could try working backward. Find authors whose work you feel falls in line with yours and then query those writers' agents.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »
What Jeanne and Tabris said. Unfortunately, adult horror is considered a dying genre (which is a shame) so you've got a big uphill battle ahead of you.
I would also try the Who Reps Whom feature and look for horror writers that are still producing novel length works (say Douglas Clegg for example) and see who reps them and check to see if they're open to queries
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline tangelb

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »
I think the PPs gave you good advice.  I'm having a similar issue in that agents formerly representing children's books are now exclusively MG and YA.  It seems like most agents are hoping for the next blockbuster YA.  That bubble will burst sooner or later.

Offline WhiteGardenia

• http://adventuresofsupertank.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
I wish there were a way to search for agents in QT by using "exclusions."  For example, I write adult fiction (women's fiction).  With over 200 agents who rep WF, I'd like to narrow my query list to agents who do NOT rep YA.  You can narrow down your search for agents by including genres and subgenres, but you can't eliminate ones whose genres you don't want them to rep.

I did mention this to Patrick.  Don't know if this request is shared by any other QT members to warrant a change to QT's search functionality.

"Like a compass needle that points north, a man's accusing finger always finds a woman. Always..."
--Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns
I'm on Twitter!  http://twitter.com/whitegardenia27

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
I'd like to narrow my query list to agents who do NOT rep YA. 

Can i ask why? Just curious and i can't really come up with a reason why i would want my agent to not rep a certain genre.
Author Website

Pup-tent

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »

Can i ask why? Just curious and i can't really come up with a reason why i would want my agent to not rep a certain genre.

I would like to rule out agents who represent self-help books.  An agent who finds such books worth putting out there would find little value in my fiction. Our worldviews would be worlds apart. No point in wasting each other's time.

Offline Alniah

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
I have a horror novel that I'm about to query. I have a list of about 21 agents who claim to represent horror. Out of those agents, two seem to be genuinely interested in horror. The vast majority of the agents I have seen so far on this site are apparently interested only in YA, children, or middle grade. Does anyone know any agents who specialize in adult horror? Maybe that's why Stephanie Meyer wrote about teeny bopper vampires, rather than honest-to-god evil bastages like Nosferatu.

Not sure if she was one of the two agents you mentioned but Bree Ogden is all into the dark, gritty and gory I think.
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
I would like to rule out agents who represent self-help books.  An agent who finds such books worth putting out there would find little value in my fiction. Our worldviews would be worlds apart. No point in wasting each other's time.

Yeah, but just because she sells self help books, doesn't neccesarily reflect on her as a person. And self help books run the gamut - there are some many different self help books out there, doesn't it seem like you're selling yourself short by not looking at any agent who reps self help because you write fiction?

I guess i don't understand what kind of fiction you write that would be so at cross purposes with an entire category of books that is built up of it's own smaller subsections and genres. If that makes sense.

Because there are plenty of self help books out there that actually help people. They're not all schemes or fads.
Author Website

Offline WhiteGardenia

• http://adventuresofsupertank.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »

Seems there are SO many agents that rep YA and it's the popular genre. Since i only write adult fiction, I'm wondering if I'll get more interest from agent who only focuses on adult genres. 

I dunno -- prolly won't make a difference, but it's a way to prioritize my list.

"Like a compass needle that points north, a man's accusing finger always finds a woman. Always..."
--Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns
I'm on Twitter!  http://twitter.com/whitegardenia27

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
Seems there are SO many agents that rep YA and it's the popular genre. Since i only write adult fiction, I'm wondering if I'll get more interest from agent who only focuses on adult genres. 

I dunno -- prolly won't make a difference, but it's a way to prioritize my list.

Gotcha. Makes total sense.

Also, i LOVE that you type probably as "prolly" because my sister and i do that all the time and i didn't know that anyone else did it too! High five!
Author Website