Author Topic: Query/ Proposal of Non-Fiction before it's complete?  (Read 5077 times)

Offline qheventer

• Fairweather Farm blog
Query/ Proposal of Non-Fiction before it's complete?
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
I'm working on a non-fiction "how to" book that will include pictures only as a visual example of what I've already stated in the book.

The photography part of the book will be the hardest because I'm relying on someone else to help me with that and we have to travel several places to take the pictures.

The bones of the book is in the writing itself. My question however is should I even consider querying or submitting the book before I have the pictures?

The pictures will require set up and time to schedule so if an agent did request a full it's not like I could quickly gather photos for that.

Offline oldbag

• Which button do I push to take the damn picture?
    • Ask Renaissance Woman (an advice column)
Re: Query/ Proposal of Non-Fiction before it's complete?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Hi gheventer,

I was reading a lot about querying NF - (realized that since my MS was basically a memoir, the rules are closer to fiction -- but) sounds like with your type of deal you should start querying now. (They may want to have input on your photo-illustrations anyway.)

Seems like what they're mostly gonna want is:  Who the heck are you -- and what qualifies you to write this book?
                                                                Is anyone (besides you) aware of your qualifications? (blog or website)
                                                                Short description of MS -- including who you think would want to read it
                                                                Outline of the proposed MS (by chapter)
                                                                Sample chapters --(to see if you can actually write)

Use the first three to formulate your query -- get 'em out there -- have the last two ready to go (in case somebody asks) -- and in the mean time, you can get some photos ready to submit in case they want to see them

Hope I helped
Regards,
-oldbag
1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
www.getahubby.com (an advice column)

Offline qheventer

• Fairweather Farm blog
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
Good point on the their wanting input on the photos!! Yes, that definitely does help. Thank you!! :clap:

Offline SJM_2.0

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 03:45:12 AM »
I queried my book before it was fully finished, just with two sample chapters and an outline. And it worked! Best of luck to you!