Author Topic: When do you query publishing houses?  (Read 15888 times)

Offline Odie

• Ryker & me 11/2012
When do you query publishing houses?
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
I've read recently (on QT) that some people have been querying small publishing houses directly? Is that good? Is it after not being able to get an agent? Is there drawbacks if you do when you are looking for an agent, will they turn you do (agent) because you have queried a PH?
Psalm 31:2 I am cut off from your sight yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help!

Tell Me My Name (Querying)
Haunted Love (Complete, but updating )
Evil Blood (complete, but will update)

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: When do you query publishing houses?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »
It's a different aspect of publishing, being indie pubbed. There's pros and cons to it just like there is with being picked up by and agent and a large house or self publishing.

Some of the pros are being able to work closely with a group of people who focus on fewer manuscripts (so they have more time to devote to you)
Sometimes having more of a say regarding your cover, etc

Some of the cons include, limited distribution
small advance (or even no advance)
little marketing (but again, this is becoming more of the norm everywhere)

Can it affect your search for an agent if you exhaust all of the smaller houses? Yes and no. Most agents will aim at the houses that don't take unagented subs first anway. But some agents will sub to smaller houses too, and if you've already subbed to those and agent may hesitate to sign you
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Hey all! I am publishing with a medium press - Spencer Hill Press - and wouldnt do a thing differently. I queried without an agent after entering a query contest, and TODAY I just got my very first ARC of my very own book! They  market like crazy - when I pitched a different book to agents last weekend at a conference they were all familiar with SHP and some of their authors. They give a small advance, give us loads of say on our book covers and promo ideas, and honestly, I just love them! They are working on a huge promotion for my book, Triangles, as we speak, which will be announced next week! They are accessible, friendly, and easy to deal with. I have also heard great things about Entangled publishing, another medium press. Our books come out as both ebook and paperback, SHP does blog tours - my book will go through a hundred blogs! - and they send out advanced reader copies for review. I have only good things to say about them, and if you thing you'd like to give them and other small or medium presses a try, go right ahead. Some of their authors started with them, then got agents after having a publishing credit.
Its all in what you want, really. I would like an agent because I want to make this a long career, but I am super happy with the way things are going now - and Jennifer Armentrout started with SHP and no agent, too!
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things about SPH. I actually have a full request from them i've been sitting on while I revise (and make some decisions and junk).

Again, there's no wrong answer. You just have to decide what you want out of your career and which path is the right one to take
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline AvO

• Physics and Art
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
I would go ahead and submit to both. If you get interest from a small publisher and also an agent who wants to work with only big publishers, then you have a choice to make. What a great dilemma!

Pup-tent

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
Hi, Odie,

Whether you are looking for an agent or a direct acceptance from a publisher, it would be a good idea to get familiar with typical clauses in a publishing contract.  Several published sources were recommended by writers here on Query Tracker. One I like is How to Be Your Own Literary Agent by Richard Curtis.  There may be a newer edition out from the one I have.

Even if you get an agent, it would be good to have some of the terminology down yourself. I certainly don't remember everything I read from that book or other articles I have read on the subject of publishing contracts, but I like knowing how to get my own hands on the information quickly. It would help me to assess for myself whether the agent is getting the best deal for me possible, especially when it comes to rights options. 

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 12:42:51 AM »
Hi Odie,

I would recommend How to Be Your Own Literary Agent as well. My sister-in-law gave it to me as a Christmas gift last year, and it's remained in my 'go to' stack of reference books ever since. At last look, I saw a used paperback copy of the most recent version on amazon.com for around $5. Even better, you might find a copy at your local library...

Best wishes,

Sasquatch

“My own experience has been that the only tools I need for my trade are a pen, paper, tobacco, food, and a little whisky.”
--William Faulkner

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:29 AM »
Thanks so much, River! I'm so excited - ARCs are starting to arrive in mailboxes and soon the reviews will come  :eek:
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
I've read recently (on QT) that some people have been querying small publishing houses directly? Is that good? Is it after not being able to get an agent? Is there drawbacks if you do when you are looking for an agent, will they turn you do (agent) because you have queried a PH?

You can query publishing houses at any time, as long as they accept submissions directly from authors. Many of my friends have been published by small publishers, some experiences were good, others not so good.

For those of you who write romance, I can highly recommend Wild Rose Press. They have a formula you must follow. Authors I know, Claire Croxton, Velda Brotherton, and other friends I see regularly, who have been published by them are happy with their results.

One of my short stories is based on a pitch session with the Editor-in-Chief, whereupon, she told me I did not know how to write romance. The following year we had breakfast together at another conference, at which time I agreed not to submit any more of my hysterical romance stories, and she agreed not to publish them. She did admit she loved Sir Truckalot And The Obese Maiden. It's the short story based on the pitch session I had with her the previous year.

Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/