Author Topic: There are no posts on this forum! So my announcement is...  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Chelc

There are no posts on this forum! So my announcement is...
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:45:43 PM »
...that I really like this smiley
 :cbash:
(I'm having writing withdrawl...grr)

This smiley comes in a close second, though
 :java:
(coffee is yum!)

Lotheus

Re: There are no posts on this forum! So my announcement is...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:10:54 PM »
You know, Chelsea, maybe you should try to pread it out.  10,000 words in a few days is great, but maybe just get a thousand a day.  Then you're always making progress and not making the rest of us feel like slackers.  We're a community here. ;D :up:

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:21:05 PM »
Oh haha.
Well, unfortunately, I'm inconsistent when it comes to writing...and in more ways than one.
I have an awfully bad habit of letting my writing reflect the book I'm reading at the time...my book changes styles every couple chapters  ;D (not anything major, like the point of view, just the mood of it. You know what I mean?)
Or am I the only one who runs into that sort of problem ???

Lotheus

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »
That's a tough one to overcome, and a lot of writing books tell you not to read while you write.  I find that once I find my voice in a story, it becomes unique enough that other styles feel foreign in it, so i don't have that problem.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:57 PM »
a lot of writing books tell you not to read while you write.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sorry, that's not going to happen...I have to read for an hour before I go to bed every night or else I just might die...
But, it's not like reading drastically affects my writing...just noticable enough for me ;)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:05 AM »
I sometimes have the same problem, that I will unintentionally borrow the style from the book I'm reading.  I've gone as far as re-reading the same book so my writing would stay consistent, or avoiding books that I know would clash.  It's not that I steal their voices and styles completely, but I do see their influence in my own writing. 

Offline Chelc

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »
Makes sense. :yes:

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »
I used to have that problem. But I think after writing for a long time, and reading many different styles, I developed my own style. Now, whenever I read something else, it just serves to enhance the style, you know? Make it seem a bit less redundant.

Maybe that's what's showing up in your work - a break in redundancy, which is probably a good thing.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 09:29:28 PM »
I used to have that problem. But I think after writing for a long time, and reading many different styles, I developed my own style. Now, whenever I read something else, it just serves to enhance the style, you know? Make it seem a bit less redundant.

Maybe that's what's showing up in your work - a break in redundancy, which is probably a good thing.
Eh, okay.  ;)