Author Topic: Anyone looking for YA crit partners?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline PatsFan

Anyone looking for YA crit partners?
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
Hi, I have a YA science fiction romance and I'd love to get some feedback on it.  I think it's pretty polished in terms of the grammar/etc., so I'm mainly interested in whether the plot, character development and pacing are working.  Is anyone interesting in trading some chapters?

I'm a pretty omniverous reader.  I like everything but westerns, and especially enjoy YA/adult science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, adventure, and romance. 

Offline elpato54

Re: Anyone looking for YA crit partners?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:16 AM »
Curious how long your book was.

Offline PatsFan

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Oops - sorry, I forgot to put that in - it's about 90,000 words.  I know that's a bit long for YA, and I'm happy to trade equivalent amounts though, so if someone's ms is 80,000, we could trade that amount.  I'm mainly concerned about the pacing/character development because my first ms got a lot of full requests from partials, but didn't get any offers, so I think agents must have liked what they read at the beginning and felt it fell apart later.

Offline saralket

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
Hi PatsFan,

I'm also looking for a YA crit partner, if you're still available! I've written a 98,000 YA urban fantasy with paranormal elements, and would absolutely love some feedback since most agency's rejections are form and it's hard to figure out where you've gone wrong, you know? I'm an attorney by day, so I edit quite a bit. I'm also an omnivorous reader and would love to take a look at your YA sci-fi and provide any helpful feedback that I could in terms of plot, character development, etc.
Let me know!

Offline PatsFan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »
Hi Sara,

Thanks for responding!  That sounds great - I'd love to trade!  I'm a big fan of urban fantasy, and I read a lot in that genre.  And I'm a lawyer too!  I'll send you a PM.

Offline bowmanthecat

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »
Hello,

If your looking for an additional set of eyes, I would love to swap YA manuscripts. I also write science fiction. My book is currently around 70,000 words. Let me know if you want to trade!

Thanks,
Bowman