Author Topic: Query for my new YA novel  (Read 8299 times)

munley

Query for my new YA novel
« on: June 08, 2013, 01:19:07 AM »
Dear Agent:

Senator Philip Fullovit, inveterate party switcher and long-winded sponsor of every bill you can think of, has served 30 years as a Republican senator and 30 years as a Democrat senator—PLUS!! eight years as Vice President of the United States, which gave him the opportunity to cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate a record-breaking 942 times.

Now retired, he wants to serve the children of Washington, D.C., as well as he served his country. To his delight, he discovers that he has a talent for composing cheerful songs about every subject you can think of, so he volunteers, out of the goodness of his self-serving heart, to babysit every little kid you can think of. The parents love it because the kids, albeit in self-defense, fall asleep in no time. His popularity as a local nanny has put many a teenager out of work. Led by Melinda Malarkey, among whose special powers is the gift of gab, the penniless teens form a secret society to take back the night.

FILIBUSTER PHIL, a YA novel to be enjoyed by teens and parents alike, is almost complete at 4,300, 942 words. Think of that movie Lincoln meets that movie Mary Poppins.

I am a retired custodian from Washington, D.C., who specialized in picking up snack wrappers from the Senate floor, so I’m very familiar with the goings-on of our elected officials—PLUS!! I have tons of great-grandchildren to whom I sing many a song I composed myself.

Thank you for your attention.
Author
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:54:58 AM by munley »

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Query for my new YA novel
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
Dear Author:

I'm very excited by your novel Filibuster Phil, and I was wondering -- is it composed entirely in verse? If so, please send me the first thousand pages or the first third of the book.

Sincerely,
Agent

PS: Have you ever seen those candy wrappers with those clever jokes printed inside? I cannot get enough of them. I hope you worked some of those awesome one-liners into your story!

Offline oldbag

• Which button do I push to take the damn picture?
    • Ask Renaissance Woman (an advice column)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
WORST?!!  Munley, I'm in LOVE!!!

This could be the biggest MG blockbuster since "Where the Wild Things Are"!  I'd love to collaborate on this w/ you. You handle the plot, I'll write  the songs:  'Sung to the tune of'... (a la: Mad Magazine) I've already got one!

The Responsibility Song: sung to the tune of "O, Holy Night'

Oh holy cow...  You've gone and killed the goldfish
That box of food should have lasted a year

Where are your skates?  You left them in the hallway
Now Grandma's dead at the foot of the stairs

I'll make a bet you never did your homework
Five bucks a day would set me up for life...

Go... Wash your hands
I see... The fungus growing
Then sit in 'time-out'... until you grow... a long gray beard
Stop making that face... Or God will slap you...  And make it stick.

Oh, Munley, PM me... I'm having a blast!

-oldbag
1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
www.getahubby.com (an advice column)

munley

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
Dear Author:

I'm very excited by your novel Filibuster Phil, and I was wondering -- is it composed entirely in verse? If so, please send me the first thousand pages or the first third of the book.

Sincerely,
Agent

PS: Have you ever seen those candy wrappers with those clever jokes printed inside? I cannot get enough of them. I hope you worked some of those awesome one-liners into your story!

Not only have I worked those candy wrapper jokes in, but I have also incorporated years worth of wisdom from the Salada teabag tags.

Thank your for your interest in my novel. Shall I attach it as a Word document (2 gigabytes), or send it by SPCA?

No, it is not in verse, but I will be incorporating all of Oldbag's songs. Assuming that meets your criteria, I'll send the ms along.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:33:01 AM by munley »

Offline AvO

• Physics and Art
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
I actually know a modern novel written entirely in verse: Time's Fool by Glyn Maxwell. I liked it, but I have no idea if anyone else did since I found it in the remainder bin.

munley

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »
Younger-than-me-bag,

Keep those verses coming.  The first one was great

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
I actually know a modern novel written entirely in verse: Time's Fool by Glyn Maxwell. I liked it, but I have no idea if anyone else did since I found it in the remainder bin.

Part of my daughter's assigned reading last summer was a YA novel-in-verse. I cannot remember the name of it, but I think it had something to do with baseball. I can ask when she gets home.

There's nothing inherently wrong with novels in verse, but they're not necessarily multi-million dollar sellers (unless it gets assigned as summer reading, of course.)

Offline oldbag

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »
...send it by SPCA?

LOL...  This struck me so funny.  (Reminded me of the old days in the flower shop when customers would demand 'FDS' delivery - in those days a popular product - the name being an acronym for 'Feminine Deodorant Spray')

-oldbag
1 Malooga, 4 Loogas

munley

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
...send it by SPCA?

LOL...  This struck me so funny.  (Reminded me of the old days in the flower shop when customers would demand 'FDS' delivery - in those days a popular product - the name being an acronym for 'Feminine Deodorant Spray')

-oldbag

Actually, the SPCA bit was inspired by my grandmother, who  got really pissed at us for laughing at her at one Sunday dinner. She was telling us that she was sitting on her parlor couch, thinking about her insurance man, and lo! Who comes to the door? The insurance man! (In those days they made house calls with big leather binders held shut with belts with big buckles.)

Gram said, "I think I must have SPCA."

Offline oldbag

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
Ha-ha! (I love to hear the references behind the jokes)
-oldbag
1 Malooga, 4 Loogas

munley

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
Where's that web page on successful queries?
I sent out 942 copies of this query and got 942 requests for fulls. Yes, all fulls. How's that for success?

Unfortunately, I'm so bogged down in mail-outs that I haven't gotten them out yet. To be fair, I don't want any of the agents to get their copy of the ms before any other agents, so I'm not pressing the send button to anybody until I've got all my ducks lined up.

I guess you'd call this a "happy problem," but it sure is a  lot of work.

Brachistochrone

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »
I hear that this author has found an agent.  :up:

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
WORST?!!  Munley, I'm in LOVE!!!

This could be the biggest MG blockbuster since "Where the Wild Things Are"!  I'd love to collaborate on this w/ you. You handle the plot, I'll write  the songs:  'Sung to the tune of'... (a la: Mad Magazine) I've already got one!

The Responsibility Song: sung to the tune of "O, Holy Night'

Oh holy cow...  You've gone and killed the goldfish
That box of food should have lasted a year

Where are your skates?  You left them in the hallway
Now Grandma's dead at the foot of the stairs

I'll make a bet you never did your homework
Five bucks a day would set me up for life...

Go... Wash your hands
I see... The fungus growing
Then sit in 'time-out'... until you grow... a long gray beard
Stop making that face... Or God will slap you...  And make it stick.

Oh, Munley, PM me... I'm having a blast!

-oldbag

Genius
I am burdened with glorious purpose.