QueryTracker Community
December 16, 2018, 09:22:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, I'll bite...  (Read 4668 times)
oldbag

Which button do I push to take the damn picture?

« on: June 18, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »

What's an elevator pitch?

1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
www.getahubby.com (an advice column)
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »

An elevator pitch is a short, 1 to 2 sentece pitch of your novel. It's called an elevator pitch because you would, seemingly, use it if you're in an elevator with an agent and want to pitch your novel. The pitch should be short enough that it lasts the lenght of the elevator ride

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
oldbag

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »

Thanks Falen! 
('Elevator'... Cute name - although I myself would never engage in such tacky behavior.)

Regards,
-oldbag

1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
JeanneG

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »

Think of it this way:

You are at a writer's conference and dream agent gets into the elevator with you on the first floor. He punches #5, and you punch #7. Dream agent and you engage in brief chit-chat and introductions. Then dream agent asks you what your book is about. You are now passing floor #3. You start your elevator pitch.

Your goal is for him to forget to exit at #5, ride all the way up to #7 with you, and then suggest that you go back down to the bar to discuss the book in more detail!  Thumbs Up

JeanneG

Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman
scribo

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »

Thanks, Falen.  Smiley Typically the pitch shouldn't last longer than 30 seconds. It's useful to have one to describe your book/article/new business/whatever when you only have a small amount of time to say your piece.

I've heard of people having the really short one and also a longer one, when someone wants to hear more after you said your initial pitch.

They're really necessary at small business meetings and the like. Writer's conferences too.

“Literature is strewn with the wreckage of those who have minded beyond reason the opinion of others.” <br />― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
Ankalegon(DTL)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »

You are at a writer's conference and dream agent gets into the elevator with you on the first floor. He punches #5, and you punch #7. Dream agent and you engage in brief chit-chat and introductions. Then dream agent asks you what your book is about. You are now passing floor #3. You start your elevator pitch.

The "elevator pitch" is not to be mistaken with the infamous "elevator hijack pitch", where dream agent presses #5 and you press #2, #3, and #4, effectively buying enough time to not just pitch the book but also read him/her the first chapter.  (then you press emergency stop and block the exit until the agent agrees to represent)
This approach is, not surprisingly, highly unsuccessful.
oldbag

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

Think of it this way:

Your goal is for him to forget to exit at #5, ride all the way up to #7 with you, and then suggest that you go back down to the bar to discuss the book in more detail!  Thumbs Up

JeanneG

I'm more likely to tell them that they have mustard on their shirt...
(No wonder I never get anywhere)
-oldbag

1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
AvO

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

Think of it this way:

JeanneG

How about: "Let's talk about it at the bar. I'll pay." Then of course get as many drinks as possibile into dream agent before actually telling him/her what the book is about.
oldbag

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »

The "elevator pitch" is not to be mistaken with the infamous "elevator hijack pitch", where dream agent presses #5 and you press #2, #3, and #4, effectively buying enough time to not just pitch the book but also read him/her the first chapter.  (then you press emergency stop and block the exit until the agent agrees to represent)
This approach is, not surprisingly, highly unsuccessful.

LOL... I think that's what I was picturing.  Very funny.

-oldbag

How about: "Let's talk about it at the bar. I'll pay." Then of course get as many drinks as possible into dream agent before actually telling him/her what the book is about.

(Probably more my style - although backfire seems imminent)

-oldbag

1 Malooga, 4 Loogas
Ankalegon(DTL)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

I met an agent at Dragon*Con last year and he blatantly told me he was heading out to a bar that night.  In my nervous, star-struck state it didn't even occur to me to say "Which one, I'll meet you there!"
Still kicking myself
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: