Author Topic: Seeking Upper YA/NA Contemporary beta reader  (Read 1343 times)

Offline cynthiarox66

• cat by night, writer by day
    • Deviantart (because I ship art and writing!)
Seeking Upper YA/NA Contemporary beta reader
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »
Hello lovely readers and writers! I'm currently seeking beta readers for my NA Contemporary, IF LIFE WERE FAIR. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do any swaps at this time :( If you are still interested, please email me at joanart6@gmail.com, where I can send you some samples of the MS. Pasting the query below. Thanks again for your time!

Genre: Upper YA/NA Contemporary (with medium romantic element--nothing heavy or graphic)
Word Count: 58,000
Query:

Idle from her gap year before college and cynical from running the hamster wheel of binge eating and exercising, eighteen-year-old Bernie Lisel receives an ultimatum from her mother: get a job or lose the credit card.

Easier said than done.

Waitressing at the fancy French bistro in Manhattan is just what Bernie doesn’t need on her plate. But in the name of money to supply her binges, she’ll take it. Even if that means installing an edit button on her perpetually snarking mouth and trying not to mix up vanilla cream and tartar sauce. Gradually, Bernie learns the ropes and begins to bond with a crew of optimistic and quirky coworkers. And then there’s Luke Wells, assistant chef and a sophomore at Columbia. Selfless and diligent to a fault, he might also be the best listener to people's problems in the entire universe. Perhaps that’s why Bernie feels equal parts exposed and guarded around him.

But when Luke is diagnosed with stage III stomach cancer and refuses treatment, Bernie suddenly discovers that she’s not the only one with a secret to keep. Putting aside her eating disorder to help Luke with a turbulent family past, she orchestrates a journey to his home state of Montana. As the 2,400 miles whittle down, the last question on Bernie’s mind is of her own recovery. She only wonders if she can accomplish for Luke what she never could for herself—breaking the self-condemning cycle of resignation.