QueryTracker Community
October 22, 2017, 03:15:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old boyfriend as a character  (Read 1610 times)
soupmomma

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »

Not Mike   Smiley
catsandstuff

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »

I would say that as long as your depictions are flattering and the character isn't exactly like him in other ways, then there is nothing to worry about. Those were your experiences too, and you can certainly write about them. If you have any concerns, change the physical description of the character so that it is not like him.

How to Hang a Witch
2016 Knopf/Random House
Twitter: @AdrianaMather
Instagram: @adrianandsmeagle
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »

If you think the old boyfriend will read the book, I would change the scenes. You may think the stories are flattering, but he may feel otherwise, or his wife/girlfriend may feel otherwise. And when you think about it, fiction is always more dramatic than most real life stories.

Use the real life as a source of inspiration and then stretch your wings and your imagination. How can you take real life and make it better, even more interesting?

Just my thoughts...

JeanneG

THIS. I would just use those emotions and feelings, but not the actual events that transpired.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »

I once wrote a short story based on an incident with an ex. It shows him as an extremely shallow character who puts more stock in how he appears  to people than anything else in this world. He could be doing something really awful, but as long as he comes out smelling like roses, that's all that matters.

I ran it past my lawyer, who said, "Chances are he won't sue you. The only way he can win is by proving that he's the asshole in the story. How would that make him look?"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:37:42 PM by Munley » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: