Author Topic: Literary agent with the same name as my character  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
Literary agent with the same name as my character
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
Will that get me in trouble? Especially 'cause she's on my query list?

Like--I honestly didn't realize until after the fact that this could be a possible negative, but...now I'm kinda like "eesh" will she be offended? It's the name of the psychic girl in my query. Roseanne Wells. I love the name Roseanne so I don't think I could ever change it...but I think if I absolutely had to, I could change the last name.

I mean...has anyone been in this situation before?

Granted--the literary agent, Roseanne Wells became an agent in 2012 I think, which was AFTER I had the idea for HBaoL. But she had the name first. So um, I don't know.

Am I overthinking this?

>.<
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Literary agent with the same name as my character
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
Roseanne is my agent. Do you want me to ask her if she'd have a problem with it?

BTW, I noticed this a long time ago, but I thougth it was funny.

Offline bodwen

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
I queried an agent I'd met at a con, with the same name as my protagonist, and she thought it was great.  She didn't sign me, but she thought it was great.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
Roseanne is my agent. Do you want me to ask her if she'd have a problem with it?

BTW, I noticed this a long time ago, but I thougth it was funny.

That'd be cool. I mean, I follow her on Twitter (I try to follow all the peeps I want to query on Twitter) and she seems like a cool person. She posted a picture of a piglet in jamies so she seems pretty nice.

Do you think she'd have a problem with it?

And ha, I'm glad you think it's funny. I was like "OH sh** I PROBABLY BROKE SOME SECRET CODE"

I queried an agent I'd met at a con, with the same name as my protagonist, and she thought it was great.  She didn't sign me, but she thought it was great.

Haha, that sounds awesome! :) What was the name, if you don't mind me asking?

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
I thought it was funny that Jenny Bent represents the author of Bent Road.  :up: Like a match made in heaven!

Kodi, I don't want to speak for her or try to read her mind, so I emailed her to ask.

In the meantime: you are NOT supposed to be on the forum. You're supposed to be finishing your novel so you can edit it for NaNoWriMo. Skedaddle.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
I thought it was funny that Jenny Bent represents the author of Bent Road.  :up: Like a match made in heaven!

Kodi, I don't want to speak for her or try to read her mind, so I emailed her to ask.

In the meantime: you are NOT supposed to be on the forum. You're supposed to be finishing your novel so you can edit it for NaNoWriMo. Skedaddle.

Skedaddling.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
So I'm changing her name. Not her first name, because I love her first name and I've known her as Roseanne for so long (since I was, like 14 or so) but I'll try to find a last name that fits that's not Wells.

Man, I don't know why I'm so emotional over this. I feel like my heart's ripped out and stomped on.

I feel like crying right now.

>.<

:(

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »
It's tough changing characters' names, I know. Since signing my book contract, I've changed almost every major character's name. The requested changes came from my historical expert, my editor, and my publisher. There were sound reasons for every change, which made it more painful. Even the name of protagonist has been changed.

At first, I resisted but then, as new names appeared to replace the old, the story took on more energy during the revisions. Think of it as a reborn character with new and greater possibilities.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:29:05 AM »
Kodi, as I was going to bed last night, I remembered a story my Patient Husband told me. That one day, JRR Tolkien received a letter from a man asking what all the fuss was about -- the man's name being Sam Gamgee.  :wink:

Tolkien sent him signed copies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and thanked him for being a good sport.