Author Topic: A Chat Room/Lounge?  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
A Chat Room/Lounge?
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:51:57 PM »
I brought up the idea while I was ranting about Teen Writing Sites and was told it was a good idea.

So, what do you guys think of this place having a chat room or lounge-ish thing we can go in and chat or something? Like, it could be simple and everything. I know some other writing sites have them.

Maybe we could even have things like designated chats about different topics on writing on certain nights. I know AgentQueryConnect (grr) has something like that.

I just think it'd be a good way to increase activity on the site. Have one night a week where we chat about a designated topic about writing (maybe how to write a good action scene or how to write realistic relationships--and we could all agree on it beforehand) and the rest of the time, keep it open for anyone who wants to pop in and say hi? And we could do Word Wars/Word Sprints and chat about our novels and our progress and stuff.

Or just talk about our day with people. It could help increase our sense of community and help us get to know each other better. Since the only off-topic forum and place we have to chat here is "Anything Goes" and we still don't really do much "talking" there.

So...it could be a mini room/pop up/etc. for Designated chats on a certain night or the week (or every couple weeks depending) and it could be a Writer's Hangout or Sanctuary for when we're all just needing to clear our heads and get away.

How does that sound?

Cool?

Yes/No?
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Dani Donegan (Cradle)

• Bacchus a noyé plus de gens que Neptune.
    • The Dreaded Writer
Re: A Chat Room/Lounge?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »
Oh my God that would be amazing.

I would even pay for this. 

Hopefully the chat room won't be as touchy about crap as agentquery is. I sang two sentences of  the boomer sooner theme song and was kicked.

Can't say poo without getting kicked either.

But QT is more laid back, and more like a family. Best place I've EVER been to.

Btw, thanks Patrick for this site, and all of the administrators that work so hard maintaining it.

You guys are awesome, and so sincere on what you guys do.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:23:44 PM by CradleOfInsanity »

The Zero Maker, YA Horror 63k

Twitter: @A_ChristineD

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me, FWIW... :up:
“My own experience has been that the only tools I need for my trade are a pen, paper, tobacco, food, and a little whisky.”
--William Faulkner

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »
Oh my God that would be amazing.

I would even pay for this. 

Hopefully the chat room won't be as touchy about crap as agentquery is. I sang two sentences of  the boomer sooner theme song and was kicked.

Can't say poo without getting kicked either.

But QT is more laid back, and more like a family. Best place I've EVER been to.

Btw, thanks Patrick for this site, and all of the administrators that work so hard maintaining it.

You guys are awesome, and so sincere on what you guys do.

Yeah, they were really strict there.

I got banned from the chat room. :/

For having an ANXIETY ATTACK.

Was not happy. Especially because I was a really good and helpful member of the community. A lot of people liked me. :/

AQC was really strict. :/

QT is more like a family.

I think that having a chatroom--more laid back--would be great.

(However I do think we should have a banning option JUST FOR spammers and trolls. Just in case they come in. Because that could happen and we don't want them clogging it up.)
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
I'm afraid there is not way to implement live chat in the forum. Sorry.

But way back when the forum first started, someone made a thread (http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=200.0) called the Quillkeeper's tavern and we used that like chat. We had to refresh the page to see if someone else posted, but it worked. In fact, even after the tavern has been quiet for years, it is still, by far, the most posted in thread the forum has ever seen. So it does work.

Kodi, if you've ever wanted to be a tavern owner, here's your chance to open one up.

Offline cnk521

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
Quillkeeper's tavern is awesome, I love the welcoming post that started it up. Just imagine if a place like that existed in the real world, for writers. Of course that could only happen if we had teleportation mastered first.
“We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene wilder)

The line is originally from a much older poem by Arthur O'Shaugnhnessy which is really good. Here is the link if you're interested. http://www.bartleby.com/103/6.html

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
You know what? I think I will. :)

Provided everyone else would use the thread...that is...

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
I would use a thread more often than a chat, because i'm just not usually available to chat, but can check threads real quick while at work
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
I would use a thread more often than a chat, because i'm just not usually available to chat, but can check threads real quick while at work

Kay! A thread it is! :)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
My daughter does the chat/thread thing on one of her forums, and it's so bizarre to see thousands of one-line posts.  :huh:  But it definitely works for them, so I can see where it might work here as well.  :up: