Author Topic: What does it take to be a writer?  (Read 16952 times)

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
Re: What does it take to be a writer?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »
 :clap: bravo, Lotheus!! very fiesty! Well done!!!

Lotheus

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
If nothing else, we can support each other, right?  We are, after all, the Query Tracker Community.  It certainly is nice to be involved in a forum with a small, positive group of people.  I worry that it won't last long, but I intend to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 03:51:16 PM »
Won't last long? Hmm, that's sad.

Offline audal

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 04:04:14 PM »
Oh no - I think it WILL last for a while.  Just look at our new guy Daniel, who stated that he felt compelled to post because of the social climate of the forum. 

And to further the argument, I can lay out my own case history... Signed up for AW's forums maybe a year ago.  My activity here is also due to the good nature of the site, as evidenced my my grand total of TWO posts on AW over nine months.  It's informative in many ways, but it's also a bit of a jungle over there sometimes.

Sure, we definitely want & encourage growth... but we're also establishing a healthy foundation for writers to speak up without fear of being devoured... unless they're so unruly the deserve the collective QT wrath.

We're business when business is topical, yet we're festive & cordial when we need to uphold levity & sanity.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
Well said Audal. :clap:

But you know what would make it all even better??
If we knew your gender  :yes:

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »
audal, you forgot to mention that of your 2 posts on AW, one of them is about QueryTracker.

And lets give him a hand because that one little post of hers on AW has brought in several new members to QT.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  karma  :clap:

Offline audal

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 05:29:52 PM »
OK, so where's the smiley face that shows me taking a bow/curtsying?   :wink:

Kidding aside, my pleasure playing Pied Piper & luring playmates into the QT cave if at all possible.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Lotheus

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 06:42:52 PM »
I meant that with the rapidly growing membership the community may not stay small for long.  I hope it stays positive.  As moderator I will work hard to prevent any abuse.

Offline audal

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya... The growth is imminent.  Ideally there'll be plenty of internal policing - both by the earlier members and those who join because of the overall QT quality.

Fortunately, I excel at taking people down a peg in a calm & mannered fashion if need be.  Big advocate of basic human decency.  I will surely make a li'l' noise & report to the QT police if there happens to be a fox in our cozy henhouse.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 07:00:26 PM »
I will surely make a li'l' noise & report to the QT police if there happens to be a fox in our cozy henhouse.
THERE! That's the slogan to go on the QT t-shirts:
Something along the lines of "Come be a fox in our cozy henhouse"
 :rof3:

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
Unfortunately, it will eventually become too big, and that always brings trouble. I was once the admin for a young writer's forum. In the beginning, it was much like QT. Then it began to grow exponentially, and one creep showed up and managed to turn the whole thing into chaos. I eventually closed it down.

ON THE BRIGHTER SIDE, if that ever happens, we must all agree to this:

We will create a new forum, and we will all join it. I've seen it happen plenty of times. And usually, the new forum is better than the first because the admin has more experience, and it creates an even closer bond among the members.

And yes, I do feel compelled to post here only. I'm so glad I found QT.

Offline audal

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 11:33:51 PM »
I truly applaud the ambition of Daniel's notion, but have to respectively disagree.  A forum will only work if it's all-inclusive.  Sure, there may be some smite-point deductions along the way (aren't we all just itching to pull a trigger here?), but to branch off & create a separate forum would be counter-productive.  We're having a lot of fun here in the fledgling stages of the forum, but the fact is, while we're a part of the grand opening, apart from Patrick, Lotheus & probably a couple others, none of us have greater control over content than the others.  Everyone can shop here & behave as they want to in the store.  That said, this is - and always will be - a get-what-you-give subculture.  It'll be easy to ferret out the weeds simply because no one will want any part of 'em.

Admittedly, bonds are formed by any group of "friends" who get to know one another early on... but all transfers & transplants & newcomers are welcome to the party.  No secret societies here.  Trust the quality of what Patrick has done & will continue to do here, and I'm fully confident that the party will be awash in serious scribes lookin' for the same thing the rest of us are.

Smiley on a soapbox?

Offline Diowe

• Please. Tell me more.
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 12:17:51 AM »
audal, you forgot to mention that of your 2 posts on AW, one of them is about QueryTracker.

And lets give him a hand because that one little post of hers on AW has brought in several new members to QT.

Patrick, if Lotheus knows audal's gender, perhaps you do too?... did you just give it away?  :zip:

Offline audal

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 01:31:54 AM »
Yup, Patrick knows.  For what's it's worth, he's also been well-informed on how to help me sustain the riddle through deception & false plants (the ivy on the kitchen table?  Totally plastic!)

I do sense that a revelation may be seriously nearby, however.  I'd be glad to do it - I just don't wanna spoil the fun others are having.  It's kind of like there's a sneaky subplot within the forum itself.  Anything is possible.  I might be an undercover literary agent.  Or - sure it's a longshot, but maybe I am a bengal tiger.  Or a pony. 

Or hey - I might even be one of you and just using an alternate account & essentially having conversations with myself. (don't laugh you all know you talk to you a lot, too!)

On that note... Happy Weekending to all!

Offline teen-writer

• Mubbly
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 01:46:16 AM »
You know, most artists/writers talk to themselves quite a bit more than other people. I openly admit that me and myself are my best company. They sometime argue, and often give me good advice. More than once I've had people come into my room asking me what friend is over, and I tell them I'm talking to myself.  ;D