QueryTracker Community
September 23, 2018, 04:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing  (Read 20647 times)
Mercyone

« on: November 05, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »

Hi,
Has anyone besides me tried "Edit Your Novel." It offers lessons such as Stimulus and Responses, Scene Structure (Scene Goals, Conflict, and Hook) also quizzes, and the occasional homework. And it's not expensive. www.edityournovel.com

Mercyone
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »

I have not. I don't like to spend money on editing. I'm stubborn (and sometimes thrifty) and tell myself i can do it on my own. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, i suppose

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
TerryRodgers

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »

I'm like Falen. Sometimes I have to wipe the cobwebs from my wallet. Other times I have to use WD40.
MaryL

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »

I've never heard of that one. Do you like it? I know lots of folks who would benefit from some extra editorial experience.

I write for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing.
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marylindsey.com  and  http://www.marissaclarke.com
Mercyone

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »

Hi MaryL

It's new and yes I like it so far.

Mercyone
MaryL

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

I'm glad it's working for you, Mercyone. After I wrote my first book (which I never seriously queried b/c I knew it sucked), I hired a university professor to work with me privately. I had majored in classic literature  and gone to law school, but there is a huge difference between legal and analytical writing and creating commercial fiction.

Everyone has their own path and needs. I imagine compliance is a real issue with the product you are using. Most would not want to do homework or exercises unrelated to the final product. I would find it hard, so I'm impressed you are sticking with it. Brava. I wrote the sequel to my stinky first book to improve. 400 pages of homework knowing it would go nowhere.

If you are looking for a great book on writing, I suggest Steven King's ON WRITING. Best writing book ever. I loved it. There are other great ones too. Good luck with your "Edit Your Novel" program.

I write for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing.
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marylindsey.com  and  http://www.marissaclarke.com
catsandstuff

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »

I'm like Falen. Sometimes I have to wipe the cobwebs from my wallet. Other times I have to use WD40.

Bah! Terry, I don't think I've told you... but you often have me laughing with your comments.

As for the editing... I don't think it's a bad idea. Although, I must admit that I have never seen this service. Whatever gets the job done, gets the job done.  And for me, what gets the job done is making my grammar whiz mother proofread everything and then argue with her over syntax. I sound like I real joy, don't I?

How to Hang a Witch
2016 Knopf/Random House
Twitter: @AdrianaMather
Instagram: @adrianandsmeagle
Mercyone

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56:30 AM »

The program is new and there aren't that many questions in the quiz it depends on the topic. The first one had ten and the second had only eight. As for the homework, you use what you've learned. One lesson a week and they're twenty minutes long.
TerryRodgers

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »

Bah! Terry, I don't think I've told you... but you often have me laughing with your comments.

Thank you.  Smiley  Has anyone ever told you to move your cat? I mean that in the most innocent of ways. I swear.  innocent
catsandstuff

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »

Thank you.  Smiley  Has anyone ever told you to move your cat? I mean that in the most innocent of ways. I swear.  innocent

HA! Well, I'm pretty sure Smeagle is the more interesting one out of the two of us. And I must say, that it had not occurred to me, but now that you mention it...I look naked in that pic. Oh sh*tballs! I swear I am not. embarrassed I just live in Cali, and my hair is unfortunately covering my bathing suit straps.

Sorry for highjacking with my racy cat photos, Mercyone!

How to Hang a Witch
2016 Knopf/Random House
TerryRodgers

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »

I figured that and was just joking. But it does appear that way.
catsandstuff

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »

I figured that and was just joking. But it does appear that way.

Although, it would be funnier on my part if I had done it intentionally. Let's just say that I'm working up to my full frontal public forum avatar picture. I figured, I'd start with my cat and take baby steps.  wag

How to Hang a Witch
2016 Knopf/Random House
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »

Does this mean you finally get what I meant when I said "what cat?" the first time someone commented on your avi?  rofl

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
catsandstuff

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

Does this mean you finally get what I meant when I said "what cat?" the first time someone commented on your avi?  rofl

Ha! I did not get that at all. Oh man... well, at least if I'm going to be naked, I might as well be obtuse. Or maybe, I'll just move to San Fran where that sort of behavior is publicly legal.   Idea

How to Hang a Witch
2016 Knopf/Random House
aimi786

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »

Is this like grammarly or better?

My wallet's like a dry inkwell too, not like I can afford half a grand for a copy editor. And I'm a grammar outlaw. If there's a grammar police, I would get arrested by now.
It's why I'm so thankful to my beta readers. They helped me edit my novel Smiley Although there's still some grammar issues but at least it's not so bad compared to my original draft.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: