QueryTracker Community
December 19, 2018, 03:25:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing  (Read 21786 times)
TerryRodgers

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »

I'm finishing up on a free course from Coursera called Crafting an Effective Writer. It's very low level, probably 8th grade or early high school, but since I've been out of school for many years, it really helped. It's amazing what you forget when you don't use it. I just write. Three novels so far. I can't tell you the difference between a preposition phrase and a noun phrase. Well, now I can...lol

I'm working on an R&R and already found a few things I messed up on. This class has really helped me a lot. I recommend it highly.

There's a class coming up called English Composition I given by Duke University. Once again, it's free, so if you don't like it you can drop out.

Wayward Son

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »

A bit late to the party here, but I've found The Elements of Style and The Elements of Grammar to be excellent resources for the nuts and bolts of editing. Also, Elizabeth Lyon wrote an excellent book on content editing and revising. I don't have it right to hand, but I think it's called something simple and obvious like Revising Your Manuscript.

I taught myself editing to work on my own stuff, and I ended up doing it for a living. You have to have a very detail-oriented mindset for copyediting, though. It drives some people (including a lot of writers) crazy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: