Author Topic: Requerying agents?  (Read 6408 times)

Kaiodem

Requerying agents?
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »
Is this one of those, it depends on how much it's changed? I know some agents want six months at least before you requery them.

I understand how agents could get frustrated at those who continuously requery them, but if you've only queried an agent once on a particular book, would it be okay to wait a few months to requery them with a whole new query? I mean, I guess I never know till I requery them, but I hope they don't recognize me by some chance and get mad.

Oh and if you can't tell, I worry quite a lot.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: Requerying agents?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
eh, we all worry about this stuff. Well, i do.

I think the general rule of thumb is to wait six months. Mostly because most agents are fine with a requery if it's been changed a lot and it's been six months.

I worry that if you jump the gun on the six month mark, and they do recognize you, they'll just autoreject instead of giving you a good look, you know?

I know i'm always surprised at agents that remember me. I think some of them keep spreadsheets. And also, if they respond, their email (especially if it's gmail) may save your email address, so that's another way they can see that you've contacted them before
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline jhider

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »
I have wondered about this too..... I have 3 or 4 books and if I end up querying some of the same agents are they just gonna think I am a nut? If I change the query and revise do I have to wait 6 months? I have never found a satisfactory answer on if you can or  should query the same agent with multiple books of different genres. I would think that if they recognized you and said "oh, this guy has several books done that I could sell. He could be a really diverse writer for me". 

Kaiodem

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Thanks Falen and jhider.

I wish agents would touch on this subject. I know some do, but I hate when agents don't want you to requery on the same project. I mean, writers grow as time goes on. If J.K.Rowling would've stopped, we would never have Harry Potter. Not that I know if she got rejected a lot on it or not. But imagine if an agent told her they never wanted to see her writing again, and years later, the writing is significantly better.

I guess it's that agent's loss. I'd rather have an enthusiastic agent rather than some snarky one who only wants me for the money.

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
To clarify, if you're talking about requerying on separate projects, that's always fine. If you mean requerying an agent on something they've already rejected, that absolutely would depend on the agent (if they've spoken on the matter), the extent of your changes (whether to query or material) and whether or not they ever requested in the first place.
Repped by Victoria Marini of IGLA
MEM: a novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
TAKE THE MIC: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance (AAL/Scholastic, Fall 2019)
A SONG BELOW WATER (Tor Teen, Winter 2020)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Kaiodem

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
To clarify, if you're talking about requerying on separate projects, that's always fine. If you mean requerying an agent on something they've already rejected, that absolutely would depend on the agent (if they've spoken on the matter), the extent of your changes (whether to query or material) and whether or not they ever requested in the first place.

Hmm..this makes me think. I think it would make sense not to requery someone who has seen most if not all of your writing and rejected on a particular project. But if they've never gone past your query, then maybe it's okay to requery since they've never read your book anyways. Which means they don't know your writing. But a rejection on one project they've seen means they don't like your writing style so don't query them with something else. So queries would be a whole different story I hope.

???

I think it would be okay, but some agents seem very picky and confuse me.

Offline jhider

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
I think what I have decided to go with is this: If I got a form rejection and no request I am re-querying with a revised query and/or pages. Since I have not yet gotten a request for full then its no holds barred. But if they have read and just plain dont like it, and its my final version,  then its on to the next. There are plenty of agents in the sea.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »
But a rejection on one project they've seen means they don't like your writing style so don't query them with something else. So queries would be a whole different story I hope.

Oh, no no no. DEFINITELY consider querying agents that have rejected you in the past on another project. Maybe your new piece is right up their alley. Maybe your writing has gotten a lot better. We can't really know why they rejected the first project so there's no use reading into it. But each new project is a new chance, so give it the best one you can. (as long as you still think the agent is a good fit for you or the project)

I'm on querying MS 3 and each time I've gotten requests from agents who have rejected me in the past. Heck, I've gotten fulls from agents who have rejected BOTH mss from me before.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline B

• Bethany C. Morrow
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
 :agree: Thank you for saying! That is NOT a true statement, at all. You have no idea why someone passed and it would be silly not to query agents on separate projects. I've had more than a handful of agents request on a new project after reading and passing on a previous one.
Repped by Victoria Marini of IGLA
MEM: a novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
TAKE THE MIC: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance (AAL/Scholastic, Fall 2019)
A SONG BELOW WATER (Tor Teen, Winter 2020)
www.BethanyCMorrow.com

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
But a rejection on one project they've seen means they don't like your writing style so don't query them with something else. So queries would be a whole different story I hope.

Oh, no no no. DEFINITELY consider querying agents that have rejected you in the past on another project. Maybe your new piece is right up their alley. Maybe your writing has gotten a lot better. We can't really know why they rejected the first project so there's no use reading into it. But each new project is a new chance, so give it the best one you can. (as long as you still think the agent is a good fit for you or the project)

I'm on querying MS 3 and each time I've gotten requests from agents who have rejected me in the past. Heck, I've gotten fulls from agents who have rejected BOTH mss from me before.

:agree: with Falen. Plus, if you're writing regularly and continuing to work on your craft, your writing style will change and improve.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman