Author Topic: Editor Request?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline fancypants

• Follow me on Twitter! :D @fancymaansi
Editor Request?
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
Alrighty, so an editor at a conference requested a few chapters from me. What will happen if she ends up requesting more and potentially liking my manuscript? And it's been about a month since I sent in the material, how long does it normally take to hear back from an editor on a partial??

Thank you!!
Also, another very noobish question, do literary agents work on weekends too? As in, do they make offers of rep on the weekend too, or only during the week? And im on a different time zone from new york, pacific time to be exact. Ive always wondered what time of day agents call ppl to offer.

LOL im a bit starry-eyed by this hold thing, so bear with my simple-mindedness ;D

Offline Nanato4

Re: Editor Request?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »
fancy,
Congrats on editor request! As for response time, if you have premium membership, the Data Explorer will give you a good idea about the publisher's response time, well worth the cost. Otherwise, you can read the comments that have been posted about the particular publisher (also, not specific to an editor though)
I imagine some agents work weekends, again, reading Data Explorer and comments will let you see dates of responses. Also, it is good to read the blogs and tweets of the agents you are interested in, they may drop some hints there.
HTH

Offline Doc

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »
Both times I had an agent offer to rep me, they called after 5 pm. One called at 6 on a Friday, the other at 5:30 on a Monday. (And yes, those moments ARE burned into my brain.)  I think my experience is a bit unusual, though, in that both called out of the blue to offer instead of setting up a time to chat.  I think that most agents set up a time to chat, though the request to chat can come at any time, any day. Remember, most agents read queries and submissions during odd times, often nights and weekends, because their work with their clients takes up their time during business hours.

As far as how long it takes an editor to respond, it varies, just as it does with agents. Some will get back to you within days, others will take months. Be patient. The business side of publishing moves at a glacial pace, and it's nigh close to impossible to hurry it up. Work on other things in the meantime. When that agent or editor DOES call, you want to be able to say, "Why yes, oh revered one, I do happen to have another manuscript (or three) in the works. Would you like to hear about those, too?"

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
What nikki said.

Most agents will email you to set up a time to chat. They may or may not also offer rep in that email. But same agents do just call out of the blue. I think there's less chance that it will happen on a weekend than a weekday, but anything's possible and there's really no way to say for sure.

Editor responses can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more, depending on the house and their schedule
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
Quote from: Falen link=topic=15230.msg179334#msg179334 date=1385310625
 But same agents do just call out of the blue.
[/quote

Oh gods if an agent called me out of the blue I'd freak out if I ever missed it.

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline fancypants

• Follow me on Twitter! :D @fancymaansi
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
Wow thank you so much, guys!!! <3
gaaaaah so excited :D

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Quote from: Falen link=topic=15230.msg179334#msg179334 date=1385310625
 But same agents do just call out of the blue.
[/quote

Oh gods if an agent called me out of the blue I'd freak out if I ever missed it.

Presumably, they'd leave a message  :up:  (and then you'd have time to get your ducks in a row and call back)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:30:51 AM by Falen »
Author Website

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
My last full request came in at 10:30PM on a Saturday.  :shrug: I'm also two hours behind NY, which means it was sent around 12:30AM.
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »
Yeah i've gotten agent responses at like 1-2 in the morning.  :eek:
Author Website

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Their "business" hours are normally around 8-6pm EST, but I've had requests come in the middle of the night. It's just whenever they get around to reading their queries! Most agents will schedule a phone call. I did have one call out of the blue, and I missed the call (I actually called her on my break at work and we scheduled a call for about 10pm that evening!). There were no hard feelings  :)
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)