QueryTracker Community
October 22, 2017, 03:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What famous scenes would get axed by today's "propulsive narrative" standards?  (Read 11909 times)
Xalcon

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »

All of Lord of the Rings would be gone I think.  But then again, by today's standards Lord of the Rings would be considered lacking in pretty much everything except for plot and setting, so... wag  Epic fantasy for the win.

AlythiaB

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »

All of Lord of the Rings would be gone I think.  But then again, by today's standards Lord of the Rings would be considered lacking in pretty much everything except for plot and setting, so... wag  Epic fantasy for the win.

Yes! Same goes for the Hobbit, the Narnia series (with its sometimes awkward, takes-you-out-of-the-story, old man narrative), oh, and every meandering tale of from the original Curious George series. Lest we not forget, CURIOUS GEORGE GETS A JOB...

In this ONE picture book story, George does the following:

-escapes from the zoo
-steals spaghetti from a restaurant and has to wash dishes
-gets hired as a window washer
-paints an apartment
-breaks his leg and goes to the hospital
-OVERDOSES ON HOSPITAL MEDS (WTF?!)  no
-ends up in the local newspaper, whereupon the Man with the Yellow Hat (the jackwagon who kidnapped him from the jungle and then acts surprised when the monkey cant keep his sh*t together in NYC) says: 'Don't let him get into anymore trouble. I want to take him to Hollywood to film a movie about his life in the jungle.'

The story closes with the grand opening of George's debut film and I can't, for the life of me, find any point to the entire ordeal. Even my kids are like 'Huh. Well, I… huh.'

I know it's a classic and it was popular, so who cares etc, etc, etc, but that story, especially, bothers me. Okay. End rant.

Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com
Munley
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »

bump. Curious about opinions of newer members.
McG

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »

I don't remember seeing this thread when it was first created, so I'll add my thoughts.

One of my favorite novels is The Grapes of Wrath. And sadly, I feel like most it would be axed today, and Steinbeck would have to start over and amp things up. I mean, literally, one of the chapters is about a turtle crawling up from the ground to the road. No dialogue.

As far as people discussing Game of Thrones earlier, I flew through it. I thought all the novels had a great mix of quieter character moments and action. I really enjoyed it, and I'm hoping The Winds of Winter is out soon! Or at the very least, we get some info on it regarding the release date.

This is a great topic, though.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot
Munley

Atlantic Canada

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »

Bumping this thread up again, since I'm struggling with my current opening. I'm happy with the pacing myself, and I don't like reading books that try to get me all excited in what feels like a contrived way right off --  people I know nothing about in imminent danger in a place I know nothing about (trying to get away in a car, running from an unknown assailant in the dark, etc.)

It's more a question of the chances of an agent thinking it's "publishable" without that, but somehow remaining true to my own vision.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: