Author Topic: Query for YA novel with family secrets  (Read 3643 times)

Brachistochrone

Query for YA novel with family secrets
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
Dear Agent,

It’s Ever Too Late is a family memoir told fictionally with a touch of the present tense.

Dan, doleful, young, and brooding, has a family past he hopes to escape. His big chance comes in the form of, yes, a girl. Seventeen and sweet, Janie, who comes from a good family, loves him with all her heart and plans to marry him. He knows keeping secrets is a sin, especially family ones. His grandparents, career army officers, were both executed for selling military secrets to the Soviet Union. His dad sold crack to teens on street corners. His mom embezzled 5 billion from the banks she worked at. His younger sister is on Death Row in Kansas for strangling a hitchhiker who wouldn’t chip in for gas.

Dan lies awake at night trying to get up the guts to tell Janie about his family. He thinks he’ll soon have the nerve to tell all. All but one thing. Will he ever, ever be able tell Janie about the brother who submitted 17, 482 queries for his YA novel without getting even one request?

The manuscript is complete at 80,000 words. It will appeal to fans of Huckleberry Finn and The Hunger Games. I look forward to hearing from you.

Author

Offline SamIAm

Re: Query for YA novel with family secrets
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
Dear Author:

If you could change the dad who sells crack to a mayor who does crack, I feel this will make the story much more relevant to today.  Please revise and resubmit, if you feel so inclined.

I'm a big fan of both Hunger Games and Huckleberry Finn.

Sincerely,
Agent

Offline kharmamea

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
Pup,
His younger sister is on Death Row in Kansas for strangling a hitchhiker who wouldn’t chip in for gas.
Being a little warped, loved that thought.

Spike
If you could change the dad who sells crack to a mayor who does crack, I feel this will make the story much more relevant to today.

:rolf: :rolf:

Brachistochrone

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Dear Author:

If you could change the dad who sells crack to a mayor who does crack, I feel this will make the story much more relevant to today.  Please revise and resubmit, if you feel so inclined.

Sincerely,
Agent

Actually, Agent, Dad was a user, not a pusher, but I'm afraid somebody might think this book is actually about Rob Ford (mayor of Toronto, as you apparently heard of), and I'm afraid I'll get sued.

And -- something you might want to consider -- there goes your 15% commission.

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
Dear Author:

Sincerely,
Agent

Actually, Agent, Dad was a user, not a pusher, but I'm afraid somebody might think this book is actually about Rob Ford (mayor of Toronto, as you apparently heard of), and I'm afraid I'll get sued.

And -- something you might want to consider -- there goes your 15% commission.

Ah well, you can't win them all.

(And kharmamea: I have to joke about my own mayor, or I'll cry.  What a doofus.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:18:33 AM by Spikethebunny »