Author Topic: Deus Ex Machina  (Read 6592 times)

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Deus Ex Machina
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
One of my favorite topics  >:D
Deus Ex Machina: A Literary Device That Has Sucked Since 400 B.C.
http://michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/deus-ex-machina-a-literary-device-that-has-sucked-since-400-b-c/

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline LaraEwrites

• Where There is a Will, There is a Way...
Re: Deus Ex Machina
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »
Loved the post :)

Offline bodwen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »
I love it!  This one made me laugh the loudest.  Another trophy for you.   :award: No.  Make it three.   :award: :award:

That's interesting that Golding didn't like the ending.  I never considered "Lord of the Flies" to be Deuce ex Machina.  (My new name for it.)  Stop reading here if you don't want to be spoiled. 

The bad kids wanted to run around, killing like savages. 
The good kids wanted to mantain the signal fire to attract a ship. 
Ironically, it was the inferno the bad kids started that was large enough to attract notice and ended up getting them rescued.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:30:22 PM by bodwen »

Offline MookyMcD

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
Thank you both a bunch!  :-*

I always assumed people posted stuff in here that was hidden by choosing white as a color (to talk spoilers). But that doesn't seem to be it. How do those of you who do that do it???

Feeling bad that's a potential spoiler, because you can't really do a post on deus ex without talking about endings!

Offline bodwen

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
I assume everyone who is at the querying stage of their career either knows the ending of LOTF, or isn't interested.    :wink:

I just select 'change color', to any color (like Lime Green) , then changed the html tag 'Lime Green' to 'white'
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:32:17 PM by bodwen »

Offline MookyMcD

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
Cool!

Check me out, I'm invisible!

OK, so on LOTF, if there was a reasonable chance a fire would be randomly seen by a passing ship, all they'd need to do is light the fire first thing. A random passing ship in the middle of the ocean was, at best, a freak chance.

-- which brings up an interesting point about deus ex solutions. When I was looking for a picture for my Tolkien motivational poster, I Googled Mordor eagles, and the first things to turn up were LOTR people going back and forth about whether Frodo could have just hopped on an eagle, flown to Mordor, dropped the ring and called it a day. The ring trilogy could fit on a bumper sticker. That's a problem with a lot of deus ex endings -- The protag says, "Oh, yea, I can shoot lasers out of my eyes. Problem solved." Then the reader says, "Why the hell didn't you just do that on page three?"

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »
Pretty awesome post!
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline bodwen

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Cool!

-- which brings up an interesting point about deus ex solutions. When I was looking for a picture for my Tolkien motivational poster, I Googled Mordor eagles, and the first things to turn up were LOTR people going back and forth about whether Frodo could have just hopped on an eagle, flown to Mordor, dropped the ring and called it a day. The ring trilogy could fit on a bumper sticker.

That's the problem I have with most epic fantasy novels.  It's usually some uberpowerful wizard telling some sixteen year old farmkid that he needs to walk through some godforsaken gauntlet with a badass and his band of generic cannonfodder to deliver the artifact of doom from point A to point B, and I thinking "B****, bring it there yourself!  You can teleport!"

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »
Cool!

-- which brings up an interesting point about deus ex solutions. When I was looking for a picture for my Tolkien motivational poster, I Googled Mordor eagles, and the first things to turn up were LOTR people going back and forth about whether Frodo could have just hopped on an eagle, flown to Mordor, dropped the ring and called it a day. The ring trilogy could fit on a bumper sticker.

That's the problem I have with most epic fantasy novels.  It's usually some uberpowerful wizard telling some sixteen year old farmkid that he needs to walk through some godforsaken gauntlet with a badass and his band of generic cannonfodder to deliver the artifact of doom from point A to point B, and I thinking "B****, bring it there yourself!  You can teleport!"

So true! :lol:
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline violet

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
I love your usage of F-bombs. Poetic.

;D

Seriously, great post.

Hmmm...in regards to LOTR, idk, I don't really get that it was DEM. As you said, the story had ended, and they'd gotten the ring to the fiery pit of Mordor. And, the eagles were mentioned throughout and helped Gandalf escape Saruman's tower. So it didn't feel out of left field for me.

Now, could Frodo have hopped an eagle to the pit? Yes. That's the larger problem, I think. Why did he have to go by foot? To grow as a character is really the answer, along with the growth of all the others. Still, I never felt like Tolkien painted himself into a corner, although that's not really the point of all this, I guess.

:)

Offline bodwen

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »
I felt the Harry Potter saga employed a heaping helping of DEM, as detailed in Harry's final conversation with Dumbledore.

Offline ImwithCoCo

• my author blog
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
great blog!  :clap:
I blog about everything...
http://www.bethellynsummer.com
https://twitter.com/BethEllynSummer

AT FIRST BLUSH, my debut YA contemporary, will be available winter 2016 from Bloomsbury Spark! repped by Carrie Pestritto of Prospect Agency

Offline MookyMcD

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
Thanks, everybody, for the great feedback!

I felt the Harry Potter saga employed a heaping helping of DEM, as detailed in Harry's final conversation with Dumbledore.

I'm not sure I agree on that one. If DD had given him a bottle of evil wizard spray or something...

:ninja:

PS to anyone wondering why there is a ninja smiley. It has nothing to do with my post. My 10 year old was reading over my shoulder and asked me to put it there. So it's there. *looks for wrapped around her little finger smiley*

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »

I'm not sure I agree on that one. If DD had given him a bottle of evil wizard spray or something...

PS to anyone wondering why there is a ninja smiley. It has nothing to do with my post. My 10 year old was reading over my shoulder and asked me to put it there. So it's there. *looks for wrapped around her little finger smiley*

That is adorable. Gods, all of you make me jealous that I'm without at least a younger sibling or cousin.

(*mutters about being a twin*)
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline ImwithCoCo

• my author blog
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »

:rof3: smart girl...can't even explain how many times I've written a comment on QT specifically to use a single emoticon, or randomly inserted a totally irrelevant emoticon just bc I wanted to use it. this place has the best smileys
I blog about everything...
http://www.bethellynsummer.com
https://twitter.com/BethEllynSummer

AT FIRST BLUSH, my debut YA contemporary, will be available winter 2016 from Bloomsbury Spark! repped by Carrie Pestritto of Prospect Agency