QueryTracker Community
December 12, 2018, 07:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A BLIND EYE  (Read 4618 times)
TerryRodgers

« on: December 13, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

I'm working on my query and elevator pitch for the hundredth time and here's what I have so far for the quick tagline. Does anyone like either or neither? Thank you much.  Grin

When Detective Kristine Pennington takes on a murder case filled with mutilated bodies and vigilante justice, she believes only a man could be so brutal to his victims. She is dead wrong.

When Detective Kristine Pennington takes on a murder case filled with mutilated bodies and vigilante justice, she believes only a man could have committed the crimes. She is dead wrong.

I originally had this next series of sentences, but they don't include the name of the main character. A young detective. An irresistible sociopath. Two women with equally dark pasts square off in a deadly game. One has something to prove. The other has someone to kill.
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

I like the abandoned concept. Can you merge it? [Name] has something to prove. [Name] has someone to kill..." kina thing?

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
slightlysmall

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »

agree

TerryRodgers

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »

You mean something like:

Kristine Pennington is a young detective. Dr. Cynthia Perry is an irresistible sociopath. Two women with equally dark pasts square off in a deadly game. One has something to prove. The other has someone to kill.

or

Kristine Pennington is a young detective taking on her first serial murder case. Dr. Cynthia Perry is an irresistible sociopath hired to profile the killer. Two women with equally dark pasts square off in a deadly game. One has something to prove. The other has someone to kill.

MookyMcD

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »

this is a concept, not a draft:

Kristine Pennington is a young detective taking on her first serial murder case with something to prove. Dr. Cynthia Perry is an irresistible sociopath hired to profile the killer. a criminal profiler with someone to kill. [then a sentence about only one of them will walk away or their paths colliding, worded in a way that avoids the two cliches I just used]

kharmamea

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »

Hi Terry,

Your first two are almost the exact same. Between the two I liked when you used the word brutal, it seems to me to be more intense.

Personally I think your original was the best of the three.
A young detective. An irresistible sociopath. Two women with equally dark pasts square off in a deadly game. One has something to prove. The other has someone to kill.

Short, dramatic, concise, intriguing.

Also I see no benefit to using personal names in an elevator pitch. They add  nothing to the meat of the story.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:06:06 PM by kharmamea » Logged
MichelleG

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

I like the one with 'brutal' better.

However, I think you are missing an opportunity, you SHOULD NOT tell the listener which one of the two is the killer,  leave them wondering.

"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
MookyMcD

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »

Yea, I wasn't thinking "elevator pitch" enough. I agree the names should be left off.

slightlysmall

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »

Along the lines of not saying which wants to kill, I think calling your sociopath a criminal profiler or whatnot makes it less obvious what well happen. And therefore more intriguing? Maybe?

Natasha E

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »

Definitely go with the bits you were originally eliminating because they didn't  use your character's names. It catches my attention and makes me want to read so I can figure out which is which. Short, sweet, and sexy. Me likey!

Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »

Yeah i wouldn't worry about the names. Your nameless one is the best

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
TerryRodgers

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »

Thank you everyone. I was wondering about the nameless one because I didn't get any bites with it in the last two twitter pitches. I see everyone using the when this happens, so and so must do this or this happens.
SamIAm

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »

I honestly love the nameless one.  It grabbed me right away.
Brachistochrone
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »

I like this one,

A young detective. An irresistible sociopath. Two women with equally dark pasts square off in a deadly game. One has something to prove. The other has someone to kill.

But I'd like the see the second sentence/phrase balanced against the first with comparable information, namely, the sociopath's job, and maybe not saying she's a sociopath since that hints at which one is probably the killer.  Something like:

A young detective. An FBI profiler.  Two women with equally dark pasts, who square off in a deadly game. One has something to prove. The other has someone to kill.

A general question about elevator pitches:

I know that the terminology comes from a pitch being short enough to spit out to a potentially interested party during an average elevator ride. But that implies something said out loud.

You wouldn't walk up to an agent and say, "A young detective. A . . ."

So are we supposed to think of this more in terms of a written thing?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:45:12 AM by Pup-Tent » Logged
olashorty

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

Cosigning others-- I really like this one.

I don't know that I'd change anything about this, actually. I could go either way on the above suggestion to change sociopath to FBI profiler.

I think as written, there's quite a bit that I want to know about your story-- what their dark pasts are, what the deadly game is, what one of them has to prove, and who the other has to kill. I think already it's chock full of mystery and I'd want to read it.

Just my thoughts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: