QueryTracker Community
November 19, 2018, 05:40:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SALT AND SAND elevator pitch  (Read 4190 times)
Pandean

Panic in human form

« on: February 13, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »

So, if anyone has been wondering why I've not been on that much lately, the reason is is because I'm researching for a new novel that I somehow have not lost the spark for despite having the idea a couple weeks ago and not writing it because I am very certain I need to do research for it. (Knock on wood that I don't loose the spark).

So, the past few weeks I've been reading a crapload of things about High/Epic Fantasy (I honestly don't know which one mine counts as since they're almost the same but differ slightly) and buying/reading multiple books on Medieval history (there are a load of people named Baldwin in Medieval history for some reason--especially during the Crusades. Must've been a popular name.), Medieval life and culture (Did you know that in the later 1300s the clothes for men were more sexualized than women? For that time period, anyway.) and learning battle tactics via reading The Art of War by Sun Tzu. (Which is a freakin' awesome book by the way).

So I have been getting learned.

And now I'm almost ready write the story! And so I decided to come up with an elevator pitch for it, for when people ask me about it.

So...here it is. If you could, please help me with it.

__

Seventeen-year-old Eisa Lin is the last living heir for the King's Jade Throne--and the only one in the kingdom who would rather die than rule.

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019
LaraEwrites

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

This sounds really good! The pitch sounds great.  Thumbs Up
The only thing, and I am not really sure about it, is whether or not you would spell 17 yo like this: Seventeen year-old, or how you spelled it.
Other than that, great job Smiley
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »

This sounds really good! The pitch sounds great.  Thumbs Up
The only thing, and I am not really sure about it, is whether or not you would spell 17 yo like this: Seventeen year-old, or how you spelled it.
Other than that, great job Smiley

Thanks! And I'm not quite sure about the 17yo thing myself. I've always saw it spelt like that so...yeah. But if it's not, I can change it no problem!

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »

Although I hate the way it looks, seventeen-year-old is a compound adjective and needs to be hyphenated the way you have it.

Screw that spark thing, too. Your story isn't some kind of ephemeral butterfly that will die if you breathe on it wrong. It's a fire. Dump a crapload of wood on it, flare it up, let the wood burn, throw more on, turn that spark into a mass of glowing hot coals that will melt pennies if you throw them on there. Then throw some more wood on it.  flame toast

eta -- and don't worry about what your elevator pitch is until you've written it. At least, if you write anything like I do.

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »

Although I hate the way it looks, seventeen-year-old is a compound adjective and needs to be hyphenated the way you have it.

Screw that spark thing, too. Your story isn't some kind of ephemeral butterfly that will die if you breathe on it wrong. It's a fire. Dump a crapload of wood on it, flare it up, let the wood burn, throw more on, turn that spark into a mass of glowing hot coals that will melt pennies if you throw them on there. Then throw some more wood on it.  flame toast

eta -- and don't worry about what your elevator pitch is until you've written it. At least, if you write anything like I do.

Haha, thanks for the advice, Mooky.

And I like to make the pitch/query before I write it. It's helpful for me.

Brachistochrone
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »

Amazing coincidence. I was just saying to someone, what if baby George doesn't want to be the king of England some day?

And I thought about how awful it would be if the one life you would be getting to live was pre-mapped to that degree.
Doesn't matter how much money or might it comes with, it's still not your idea, and possibly a fate that doesn't go at all with who you really are at heart. It still has me pondering.

So I think this is a good pitch.
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »

Amazing coincidence. I was just saying to someone, what if baby George doesn't want to be the king of England some day?

And I thought about how awful it would be if the one life you would be getting to live was pre-mapped to that degree.
Doesn't matter how much money or might it comes with, it's still not your idea, and possibly a fate that doesn't go at all with who you really are at heart. It still has me pondering.

So I think this is a good pitch.

Danke. And haha, that's funny!

Gods, I couldn't be a queen.

tb.tallbird

I live in a fairy tale world!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:26 AM »

clap Hey Kodi, count me in as loving that pitch!

Thanks for clearing this up, Mooky. I alway wondered how to do that myself.

Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.
SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »

I write my query first, too.  I find if I can't write the query first, the book is going nowhere. 

Anyway, I like this pitch and I like your query.  Sounds like a good story, Kodi!  Glad you're having fun with the research! I wondered where you were!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:42:39 AM by Spikethebunny » Logged
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:06:58 AM »

I write my query first, too.  I find if I can't write the query first, the book is going nowhere. 

Anyway, I like this pitch and I like your query.  Sounds like a good story, Kodi!  Glad you're having fun with the research! I wondered where you were!

Yay! (And yeah, same with me).

It's funny, I got private messages wondering where I was and if I was okay. It's made me realize that I spend quite a lot of time on here. Lol.

MichelleG

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »

I think it sounds really interesting.

I don't think it matters how you spell out the age - I believe an elevator pitch would be delivered verbally.

"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »

I think it sounds really interesting.

I don't think it matters how you spell out the age - I believe an elevator pitch would be delivered verbally.

I posted the query/first chapter if you want to see it. Smiley

olashorty

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »

__

Seventeen-year-old Eisa Lin is the last living heir for the King's Jade Throne--and the only one in the kingdom who would rather die than rule.

To preface, I think this reads well and enjoyed the pitch.

The only issue I have (and unless the agent is a lawyer, I doubt they'll pick up on this) is the "last living heir" bit here. It doesn't actually make sense. The issue is the "last living" modifier. An heir has to be alive to inherit, so the "living" is confusing since it's implicit in the word. And from what I remember about property/intestacy law, there is no first/last heir-- all heirs inherit at the death of the person passing on their estate/property.

But, that's boring property law, and I think most people wouldn't bat an eye at how your pitch as you've written it. Just wanted to flag in case the agents whom you're trying to pitch are lawyers who might care about this stuff.

Cheers and good luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: