QueryTracker Community
June 22, 2017, 06:51:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of AbsoluteWrite  (Read 3639 times)
MookyMcD

"hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"

« on: April 01, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »

I decided I'd provide an explanation. Why I’m done with AbsoluteWrite (Or: the post that lets two dozen people say “LOL, told you so”):
http://michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/why-im-done-with-absolutewrite-or-the-post-that-lets-two-dozen-people-say-lol-told-you-so/

I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

This, too, shall pass

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »

Nice post and pretty spot on for me, too.

Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website
MaryL

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »

Well said!

I write YA for Penguin USA and romance for Entangled Publishing.
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marylindsey.com  and  http://www.marissaclarke.com
Pandean

Panic in human form

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »

Is it really that bad there? Like, people seemed mean, but really. It's THAT bad?

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Fall 2018.
TerryRodgers

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »

Yup.
MookyMcD

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »

Like I said in the blog post, there's nearly as much good as bad. I just don't like it when the bad comes from management and the good comes from members.

Also, my standard response to just about any threat is, "Okay," or "Tell you what, I'll go ahead and do the thing you're threatening for you so you don't even need to worry about doing it."

SamIAm

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »

Wow, that's kind of scary.  I've honestly never joined AW, and had no plans to.  I've looked through the "bewares", but that's about it.  Doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much.  It scares me that the mods are the main participants in all of this.  They should be the ones looking out for everyone else.

Even the internet is like high school...sigh...
KimE

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:53 PM »

To paraphrase Sam Axe:"you know AW mods- bunch of bitchy little girls"

I am burdened with glorious purpose.
Doggy Teng

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »

Though I strongly recommend AW as a great place to do research (especially on agents), from what I've seen I agree that it's best to be careful about what you post there, and probably wise to avoid really getting involved in the discussions.  I've been a member for about five years (and lurked for a while before that), but after I witnessed some of the ugliness, I decided not to put a link to my website in my profile, and to go back to primarily using it as a resource and staying out of the fray.

Yes, there are some wonderful people there, but I've also seen inappropriate behavior from the moderators.  There's one mod there who seems to be an intelligent, knowledgeable lady, but for some reason she has a real chip on her shoulder about a specific topic, and if some unsuspecting newcomer brings it up, she'll go ballistic and respond to them in a manner that's entirely out of proportion to the situation. eek

One of my theories is that because a big site with so much traffic inevitably attracts a lot of folks who truly are clueless, the regulars who've been there a long time assume all newbies are ignorant.  (It's likely they're also simply tired of hearing the same questions over and over again, so they're a bit jaded.)  Then if someone shows up professing to have any kind of expertise -- whether it relates directly to writing and publishing or to something else -- they assume the worst.  And perhaps they even resent that person for coming onto their turf and displaying that expertise -- who knows?  In any case, it's a shame, because they may drive away folks who really have something to offer. 

So for anyone who's curious about it, I'd say it's a good idea to use the site's search feature to see if any question you have has already been addressed; you may be able to get a great deal of benefit from the site without joining.  The other thing to be aware of is that it's a pretty large forum, and some sections of it are 'classier' than others.  For instance, I've noticed that the folks who spend a lot of time in the 'Write 1/Sub 1' part of the forum are mostly serious writers (many of whom regularly sell short fiction to respectable markets) who are quite supportive of each other, and I've never seen anything unpleasant there.  And some of those members rarely show up elsewhere in the forum -- which probably tells you something.  Grin   

TerryRodgers

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:26:35 AM »

The funny thing about AW is that almost all of my posts are single posts. I rarely go back to the same thread. I just hit new posts, see a thread that sounds interesting,  and post. I wonder if any of my posts have stirred the masses. That would be cool.  wink2
tb.tallbird

I live in a fairy tale world!

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »

Thank you Mooky! I appreciate your input. I'm pretty knew to the process of writing and the internet. So thanks for keeping me from making a possibly terrible mistake.  clap

Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.
violet

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »

It's a better place to lurk than to post, imo.

Sucks--I had a similar encounter there, Mooky.

Btw, Mac is a real person, fwiw.

MookyMcD

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »

By "real person" do you mean the person who also posts there under her real name? I can pretty much guarantee you there is no living human being associated with AW who has that name on a birth certificate.

jmundy-castle

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 02:09:48 AM »

Mooky, I really love how you pepper the "f" word throughout your blog. It reminds me of the Onion.
Brachistochrone
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 04:19:38 AM »

I've never read or contributed to any discussions on writing on that site, but, like others, have found some parts of AW useful for finding out others' experience. I look there for info on agents and on  trolls who try their nasty wit on multiple writer's forums. 

QT gets an occasional troll and I try not to pounce on somebody who may simply rub me they wrong way and doesn't really intend to be a classic troll. On QT,  trolls usually just get discouraged by lack of anybody taking up whatever they are trying to provoke and leave before their egos starve to death. If something goes on a long time and a troll seems to be causing real trouble, I'll research them and lo! they've typically already been called out on AW.

As for your post about AW over all, it sounds like there's a conflict of interest/roles on the part of some moderators who are also quick to pull the plug on others' posts simply by pulling rank, regardless of the merits or problems with the post. I'd just as soon not subject myself to that. Life is short.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: