Author Topic: PB CP wanted  (Read 2363 times)

Offline SamIAm

PB CP wanted
« on: May 05, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
I'm very new to writing Picture Books, so could use someone to tell me if I've done it all wrong.  The MS is done.  It's coming it at 1000 words.  I trimmed it from 2200 and I'm not sure I can go any shorter. I've read 1000 words is pretty high, but acceptable. 

Anyway, I'd love a second set of eyes to make sure the language is appropriate and the story works for the age group.

I'm willing to read yours, too.

Offline etsel.atsirch

Re: PB CP wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »
I'm happy to read it, as a reader. I don't write picture books, but I have three children, so I read them a lot.
I actually did "write" my first picture book two days ago, on my cell phone, when I got inspired. So obviously that will need a lot of work. It won't be ready for probably a year or so.
Send yours on, if you like!

Etsel

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »
Awesome!  Thank you!  I sent you a pm!

And I love that you just wrote one as well!  I wrote this on my cell phone, too.  Haha!

Offline etsel.atsirch

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
Cell phones are an excellent invention for writers. I love it because I'm such a creative (read: messy) person that at least when I come up with an amazing book idea, I can write it down right away and email it to myself, forever searchable by key words! :-)

Looking forward to seeing your book.

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »
I'd be happy to look at it for you. I've got no PB writing experience, but I've been reading books at story hour-- two groups, k-4, once per week for over a decade now. Plus I taught four girls how to read (and, being the research dork I am, learned about everything there was to know about teaching children to read prior to doing so).
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline nightwriter2

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
I'm very new to writing Picture Books, so could use someone to tell me if I've done it all wrong.  The MS is done.  It's coming it at 1000 words.  I trimmed it from 2200 and I'm not sure I can go any shorter. I've read 1000 words is pretty high, but acceptable. 

Anyway, I'd love a second set of eyes to make sure the language is appropriate and the story works for the age group.

I'm willing to read yours, too.

I totally know what you mean about trying to know if the story and language works for an age group :) and I'd also be happy to take a look at it. I've been part of a PB-YA critique group for awhile. You can PM if you'd like :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:42:17 PM by nightwriter2 »