Author Topic: Algonkian Pitch and Shop  (Read 1976 times)

Offline reallyrosie

• Inspired by food, love, Shakespeare, and the shore
    • Rosemary DiBattista
Algonkian Pitch and Shop
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
Those in the NYC area might want to consider the Algonkian Pitch conferences. (There is one coming up at the end of September.) I went last fall, and it was well worth the money. A couple of things: 1) you should only go if you have a completed, polished ms 2) if you can stand pitching your novel in front of 14 other writers, your workshop leader, and an editor 3) if you have a pretty thick skin.

They don't play around. It's tough to get accepted in the first place, and if you do, don't expect any feel-goodery. (Think Project Runway when Nina is in a particularly harsh mood). However--read their website carefully, and if you feel ready, and you can afford it, go for it. I waited a full year until I felt my ms was in any shape to pitch it, and here's what I learned--it wasn't.

Out of the four editors who listened to pitches, three asked me for pages. Few writers in my group had those stats. I left there on a high I can't even describe--until they all passed on it. Then I went home and did my first round of queries, and got to the stage with several agents who asked for the full--who then passed on it. So I knew, without a doubt, that my story needed work. I went back and revised, and one of the editors remained interested enough to read again; she has since passed it on to a second reader, and I should know something soon. I'd never be this far without that conference.

And here's the thing--if I hadn't gone, I'd still be walking around thinking I had a perfect little book. Be aware though, that at Algonkian you don't read your ms, only your pitch. And they will really help you hone it.

Here's the link: http://nycpitchconference.com. Check it out, at the very least.