Author Topic: Exclusives and Partials . . . protocols?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline AmandaRoseAdams

Exclusives and Partials . . . protocols?
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »
The good news is, after a partial an agent (a good one, I totally learned my lesson with my first book which has made some money, but not much for me) asked for an exclusive on the full. As I monitor the comments on my agents-of-interest, I had written off quite a few as Closed No Response, and only had three still pending because they seem to always respond . . . but somehow they weren't responding to me.

So, I gave Agent #1 an exclusive but I stopped querying for the next two months for personal reasons (I'm hosting a big charity event and dealing with transitions at my day job). My query hiatus started BEFORE Agent 1 asked for an exclusive, and I was like, "what ev's, it's all yours, I'm too busy to query right now."  Of course six days later Agent #2 shows up from my list of "fast responders who didn't respond to me," asking for more (she took a few pages as part of her submission requirements). Then I had to ask Agent 1 when he's be willing to give up his exclusive before I contacted agent #2 to tell her when she could see it. . .

I'm so annoyed with myself for not setting a timeline with Agent 1, but I really didn't expect to hear back from anyone at this point and am sick of the "query-go-round" (I stole that from someone who stole it from someone else). So I feel like a big idiot for having to go back to him to ask for a timeline and for not having information to give Agent #2 when she approached me. Luckily #1 was very prompt and nice about it, but I still feel like I undervalued myself and my work (again - I keep learning this lesson) by being so passive about it. Still, I've been down road so many times with the first book and a couple of times already with this book, where agents express interest and then pass, that I know not to count any chickens. I'm more irritated about undervaluing myself than excited about the interest.

When you all are asked for exclusives after a partial, what do you do? How do you communicate it? I feel like there are a billion resources about how to query, but etiquette for exclusives, partials, etc. is much more difficult to find and vague when I do find it. I don't want to alienate any agents, but I also want to respect myself and my work and be patient because that's what grownups do right?

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: Exclusives and Partials . . . protocols?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »
whenever i've been asked for an exclusive, i've never been able to grant it because it's been out with other agents. And only once did an agent pass on reading my manuscript then (and she said she would read it later if the other agents passed).

So, in the future, i would try to avoid agreeing to them. Though i can understand why, in your specific case, you said SURE. I would have too.

But what i've said is more or less, i'm super excited for your request for my MS, but unfortunately i can't grant the exclusive because it's out with other agents. I've attached it below, though, in case you would still like to read it. Thanks so much"

And then, because i attached it anyway, they usually said "okay, no problem"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:51:25 AM by Falen »
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline AmandaRoseAdams

Re: Exclusives and Partials . . . protocols?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Thank you! that makes me feel better. :)