Author Topic: Newbie - first post  (Read 4674 times)

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
Newbie - first post
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Very first post, and wanted to say I'm glad I signed up.

Started first book August of 2012, began submitting in May.  Have only received rejections, and have learned the problem is likely a word count of 206k!  Advice on another forum, different site, stated issues with count and synopsis.  Also learned high count could be issue while I was reading up on them.  Long story short, breaking up my novel to two parts - and will work on synopsis as well.  Lucky for me I have a place, 125k in, that would be a good stopping point, and will have to work on the balance of 81k so it's not so much shorter than the first part.

Still have about 25 queries out there, but with a high word count and a one-page synopsis that has been described as too long or disjointed,
I'm thinking all will come back as being rejected.   :'(

Can't wait till I can post synopsis and sample pages here for critics to review.

Looking forward to reading all this forum has to offer, and joining in on conversations when I can. 

Can I also say how nice it is that there are forums for writers?  It's nice to be in touch with others who are working at getting published.

:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
Re: Newbie - first post
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
Can't wait till I can post synopsis and sample pages here for critics to review.

Looking forward to reading all this forum has to offer, and joining in on conversations when I can. 

To answer your question in the "Ground Rules" thread here, since I can't be bothered to switch tabs, start posting! QT doesn't have a minimum number of replies you have to post before critting or posting your own work for crit. In fact, commenting on others' work before posting your own will earn you Kudos (or, as the case may be, karma).

Welcome! And good luck, too! I look forward to seeing what your story is about.

Offline DannieMOlguin

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
WELCOME!
I'm sure you'll find this forum as helpful and awesome as I do!

dannymctx

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Welcome ECE!

And if you have a good stopping place at 125K, you're pretty fortunate.  Re-group, edit, and work more on the query and synopsis... and you will eventually find the right agent.  (That's the advice I give myself all the time.)   :)

Offline cnk521

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:16:44 AM »
Hi.  :)

And ouch, 206k. I struggled just for the 103k I wrote last year. Then I cut that down to 90ish to fit my genre. And the horrible part is that I pretty much scrapped the whole thing now for the rewrite. Only about a page from each chap is being reused and only because of description and some dialogue.

I'm glad you were able to figure out the reason for the rejected queries. Is your genre fantasy/high fantasy or sci-fi? 125k might still be high for some agents if not.

Good luck with the adjustments and future querying. Can't wait to see you around the rest of the forum.
“We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene wilder)

The line is originally from a much older poem by Arthur O'Shaugnhnessy which is really good. Here is the link if you're interested. http://www.bartleby.com/103/6.html

Offline tb.tallbird

• I live in a fairy tale world!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:52:33 AM »
Welcome, Ece! Congrats on your finished MS. BTW...

:surprise:

Yikes! 206k!

I remember my first MS, worrying about how much I could really get into a book to make it a book. I had only written short stories until I decided to try my hand at a YA book.
Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »
Hi.  :)

And ouch, 206k. I struggled just for the 103k I wrote last year. Then I cut that down to 90ish to fit my genre. And the horrible part is that I pretty much scrapped the whole thing now for the rewrite. Only about a page from each chap is being reused and only because of description and some dialogue.

I'm glad you were able to figure out the reason for the rejected queries. Is your genre fantasy/high fantasy or sci-fi? 125k might still be high for some agents if not.

Good luck with the adjustments and future querying. Can't wait to see you around the rest of the forum.

Don't know what happened to my original reply to this....lost...anyway, book is commercial fiction with literary leanings set near the end of the Stone Age - a dramatic and violent tale.  I can break it at a point where MC is reflecting on previous year, and feeling trepidation for what the coming year will bring to him and his tribe.  125k is likely still too high, could maybe reduce it to 120k.  Leaves me with a little over 81k for book two...Sucks because my original book 2 will now have to be book 3, etc...and book one was supposed to be long so readers knew how far the people fell, how much they let happen....the foundation for the series...

Used Jean Auel's first book as a guide, didn't want to go longer.  Didn't know during the year I was writing it that a high word count was so unlikely to gain an agent's attention.  So, after months of research, a year of writing, and some weeks of rejection letters, I am learning. 

I'm sorry you had to do a rewrite...I may be right with you.  I'm considering a breaking in half, as well as trying a complete re-write, but so much happens, I would literally have to cut out dramatic scenes to get all of the 206k to an acceptable word count if I don't break up the story.  You know what I mean, like, I didn't take up a lot of space with long prose of scenery, why a certain stone is ideal for knapping....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:40:18 PM by ece007 »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 07:24:29 AM »
welcome to QT!  :welcome:
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
Welcome to QT! Wow!  206k!  Definitely good you can split it! Good luck with your revisions!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »
Hi and welcome!!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
Hi! Welcome! :)
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
Everyone has been so nice!  So glad I joined the forum, and wish I'd joined sooner - could have learned my MS was getting too long, if I'd been brave enough to talk about it back then. 

Split in the 206k has been decided....no way to condense all to one acceptable count. 

Started yesterday, goal is now to get first half to about 109k from 125k.  On 'puter page 21 I think, and have trimmed over 1500 words.  Some due to extraneous words, sentences that weren't actually needed (imagine that), and am cutting details that set the period the story is written.  I'm thinking no agent will care, from a first-time author, if I can describe all the useful parts and what is done with them, after a hunt.

Anyway, have already got some good advice - particularly for querying and synopses - Thank you.  Have also enjoyed reading other things people have posted.  It's so cool to see how many story ideas so many people have.

Offline benjj

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »
Hi,

Wow! 206 wc. I take my hat off to that effort. I struggled to hit 50K on my ms. At least you have plenty of room for culling. G'luck.