Author Topic: thought others might like this list...hope it hasn't been on here before  (Read 4173 times)

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
http://www.iuniverse.com/ExpertAdvice/20WritingTipsfrom12FictionAuthors.aspx

I don't follow #2 since I prefer working in the dining room where all the action is, rather than my office. 

I couldn't agree with #4 since I broke that rule.   ;D 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:45:03 AM by ece007 »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline quiarahb

This is a really awesome list, ece! I haven't seen this list before on here, but I don't know. I've only been on here for a year. Still, thanks for posting this.

Offline Doggy Teng

• Lara Campbell McGehee, SF and Fantasy Author
Thanks for sharing that link, ece. :)  Many of those tips are ones I'd seen before, but some I hadn't.

And I can't do #4 either -- I'm definitely not a good 'pantser', because if I don't have a solid outline before I begin, I'm in danger of rambling off into oblivion!

I've always thought Mr. Gaiman's quote at #17 is interesting, though I'm very fortunate that my number one beta usually is absolutely correct about how to fix a problem.  But I've found that especially when the critic in question is someone who's not really in your intended audience, that's often exactly what happens -- they'll accurately pick up on the fact that something isn't quite right with a scene, but then be completely off base about what the problem really is!

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
I'm so bad for #6...  I mean I'm here right now...  Same with ANY distraction.  My first draft was written at work during the slow period of the year (at the time I worked for a window and door company, and both bosses were on vacation and whatnot for about 4 months.  I'd receive maybe 2 calls a week...  great writing time.)  since then I haven't had that kind of peace and far too many distractions.

I was actually told #2 after winning a writing contest for a short story called "What a Loser" which is actually part of the inspiration for Kevin and Steven...  the same author told me to stop writing int he middle of a sentence, that way when you come back, you just finish that sentence and it draws you back into that writing pace.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline Hrothmeir

• The Realms of Neldak
I'm so bad for #6...  I mean I'm here right now... 

Amen.  I figured I'd get so much writing done in downtime at work, and instead spend all day on 2048...

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
Thanks for sharing that link, ece. :)  Many of those tips are ones I'd seen before, but some I hadn't.

And I can't do #4 either -- I'm definitely not a good 'pantser', because if I don't have a solid outline before I begin, I'm in danger of rambling off into oblivion!

I've always thought Mr. Gaiman's quote at #17 is interesting, though I'm very fortunate that my number one beta usually is absolutely correct about how to fix a problem.  But I've found that especially when the critic in question is someone who's not really in your intended audience, that's often exactly what happens -- they'll accurately pick up on the fact that something isn't quite right with a scene, but then be completely off base about what the problem really is!

Yeah, I just can't do #4 - ever.  My current MS is the first of an eight book series, and the ending is known for each of them.  How do you know the journey that needs to happen to result in the end you want if you don't plan the end?  I'm with you, without an outline, I'd stray.  I do know many do write without an outline, sounds scary to me!  lol
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline tb.tallbird

• I live in a fairy tale world!
Great list, Ece! I've heard some of them before, but never saw this list. Thanks for posting.
Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page... you will never know what the next chapter holds.

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
instead spend all day on 2048..

What's your high score? :) (On this computer, mine is 37,648, but I think I did better at work.)

I thought I'd get a ton of writing and editing done on my maternity leave... and while I haven't been completely useless, I've worked on my writing about as much, or a little less, than I did when worked full time. In fact, I'm kind of excited to go back to work. There's hardly such a thing as "down time" when the full-time job is caring for an infant...

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
I still feel bad you guys don't get a year with your kids, but I know my wife was clawing at the walls to get back to work both pregnancies, even if it was only part time after the twins.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
Tell me about it... everywhere in the world, except one country, has better maternity leave than the U.S. I get 10 weeks, 2 of them unpaid. Not many are as lucky... And honestly I would like this much better when she's older and more interesting. :)