Author Topic: The Adventures of Chelc and the Meerfrog!  (Read 12415 times)

Offline Chelc

The Adventures of Chelc and the Meerfrog!
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:12:28 AM »
Upon request (sort of) I’ve concocted my first attempt at first person POV.
Okay, I confess; this was an entertaining way to waste a couple of hours, but I still say I suck at this style. So here’s the proof for all you non-believers. :yes:
Note: this is 100% true up until the part where all the car breaks down…it happened last Monday. I wasn’t creative enough to come up with something totally made up. And the meerfrogs (you’ll see) aren’t new either—they’ve been a creature in my book for ages.
BUT!
I just couldn’t restrict myself into making this a short-short story…I have the curse of super-description…so it’s hence forth a community fiction story! (Even though I had it planned out. Ah well, I wanna see what you guys will do…)

There was everything about the winding road in front of me to suggest what would happen that evening.
It was 9:15 p.m., and I was driving with just one contact in. It had ripped cleanly down the middle during band rehearsals, and since I had driven myself to practice, I was forced to take the back-country roads instead of risk driving through town mostly-blind.
It was my fault really, about the contact ripping. I’m always rubbing the hell out of my eyes. I started wearing contacts four years ago, and each year when I get a new prescription I tell the eye doctor that the contacts hurt. But do they listen? Indeed no.
It wasn’t long before I regretted taking the long way home. August in my little mid-western town means thunderstorms, and boy was it thundering that night. Strangely, there was no rain, but this just made things feel all the more ominous.
I’m not normally one to be frightened of storms; in fact I usually enjoy them. Yet every time lightning illuminated the sky, temporarily breaking the harsh darkness, I jumped.
I was driving my older sister’s car, which I had only done twice before. Both of those times she was in the car with me. So, consequently, I couldn’t figure out how to turn on the brights.
Take it from a person of experience; driving with one contact in, no brights, on a thunderous and starless night, on a snaking road with no one around you is not fun. And let’s not forget, the light by the speedometer was broken, so I had no clue how fast I was going.
Five minutes into the drive I glanced behind me, only seeing the impenetrable darkness. The silence was unnerving, so I flicked on the radio. It was one of those old tunes, the kind of song you hear on a television show when someone is driving alone at night only to be confronted with some supernatural murderer. Those scenarios always happen on a road surrounded by trees. I was surrounded by trees….
I picked up my cell phone to tell my mom I might be home a bit late, but I had no service.
A flash of yellow burst across the sky and I startled fiercely, the phone flying out of my hands.
“Chelsea Kellogg, it’s just lightning,” I told myself aloud. “Stop working yourself up, nothing’s gonna happen.”
Could I have been more wrong?
I didn’t see the sharp right turn until it was too late. The car skidded loudly onto the other side of the road despite my hammering on the breaks. For a brief moment I was positive I was going to crash into a tree, but at last second the car was facing in the right direction again.
I released a breath I hadn’t realized I’d sucked in. The movies make these things look so thrilling. Somebody should sue them for fallacy.
After a couple minutes of creeping forward at 2 MPH and turning my head every which way to make sure there weren’t any cops around who might have seen my little driving mishap, I began to press my foot harder on the accelerator.
Nothing happened. I tapped the brakes, only to be greeted by the same result; nothing. So I pulled over, put the car in park and—
It died.
Ooh no.
I’m pretty sure I fell asleep the day in Driver’s Ed where you learn what to do in situations like this. Damn the teacher for being so monotone.
I twisted the key in the ignition to no hope; the car was dead and it was going to stay dead.
No, no, no, no, no.
I thought of walking home. After all, it was only about a ten minute drive. But, that converted into a thirty minute walk, probably more. And what was I going to do with the car? Then there was the fact that I was missing a contact—so without the car lights I wouldn’t be able to see where I was going anyway.
Using the lightning in the sky to my advantage, I searched the floor of the car for my cell phone to get some light. As my head was bowed, there came a loud thunk on the hood of the car.
My fingers grasped the phone, and I flipped it open for light. Then, ever so slowly I lifted my head to investigate the cause of the noise.
I loosed a yelp at the sight in front of me. Peering through the windshield, with big buggy eyes was a creature akin to a meercat, only with a frog-like posture, and webbed paws—if there ever was such a thing as ‘webbed paws’. Even in the gloom of night I could tell its fur was a silky brown.
It rapped on the windshield once, and then the glass vanished.
“Shoo!” I heard myself say pathetically.
It cocked its head to one side.
“And why would I do that?” it said.
I felt my jaw drop.
“Are you Chelsea?” it said, ignoring my blatant shock.
“Y—yes?”
“Good,” it said, thunder sounded in the distance. “Let’s get going.”
“Excuse me?” I squealed.
It stared at me impatiently. “If you want help starting your car and further more getting home safely, then I suggest you come with me. We need your help.”
A vision of a pack of meerfrogs (as I had dubbed the creature) huddling together among the trees, waiting for my assistance of some kind, flashed in my mind’s eye.
Before I knew it I was out of the car, with no recollection of making such a decision, and the meerfrog was at my side.
“What’s your name?” I asked.
“Rauron. Now, we have to go up. But first—”
“Ow! Hey!” I exclaimed. A thin line of scarlet had appeared across the palm of my hand as though it had been grazed by a knife.
“Well, it’s better than the old method….Now take this,” Rauron said, handing me a small and clear, star shaped trinket. The moment it was in my palm, my blood began to fill in the empty cavity of the star.
“Alright, now we just have to wait for the lightning to get closer,” Rauron announced.
As if on cue, a lightning bolt struck, accompanied by the deafening din of thunder. I’d read somewhere that you can estimate how far away lightning is by counting the seconds in between each strike. Every one second was equivalent to a mile.
I counted three seconds before the next bolt.
Rauron looked up at me. “You may want to take a deep breath since—”
Two seconds.
“—first timers don’t tend to have a—”
One second.
“—pleasant experience with this.”
And the next bolt hit me straight on the head. It was like a thousand white-hot needles were being shoved into every inch of my skin possible. But the suddenness of what had just occurred was enough to distract my body of the pain as I tried to wrap my mind around how such a thing had happened to me.
As soon as I understood that I was flying upwards, traveling inside the lightning, everything stopped.
I looked around. I was standing on a luminescent rainbow roadway up in space among the stars, with Rauron the meerfrog bouncing at my feet.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:28:22 AM by Chelc »

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
Re: The Adventures of Chelc and the Meerfrog!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
WOOOOOOOT.

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. That first person voice is AWESOME. Some day you're gonna thank us for pushing you into it. You really have something there. Something totally teen and authentic. I say..go for it...seriously!!!

Offline Chelc

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:25:45 AM »
 ;D
Have I gotten you addicted to that word?
good for me.
WOOT!
And I don't think it was such a good idea posting something about lightning...because it's SERIOUSLY storming here all the sudden...the power is bound to go out soon...and I'm supposed to be asleep...ug.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:26:45 AM »
You know, jw is right.  I like your voice here.

Let me try this...  WOOT!

Offline justwrite

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:13:11 AM »
woot woot woot woot woot.  ;)

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »
 :clap: Great job! (I think I'm too pregnant to use "WOOT")
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline audal

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »
 :agree:

Especially enjoy the italicized asides quoting your brain at the time.

So what happens next?  Privately, we all had a vote.  Yet again, you were outvoted & most continue on with your adventure.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 07:00:58 PM »
No, I musn't continue.
You guys can do something strange to little old me in the space world with the meerfrog thing  ;D
Get going.
OH MY GOD! :eek:
I think we just discovered our QT catchphrase!!:
WOOT.
 :cheer:

Offline justwrite

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »
Apparently that's what the T-shirts need to say. Keep mulling it over, gang. I'm not kidding that I'll design one.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »
Let me try this...  WOOT!
By the way, Patrick, did that make you feel good?  ;D

Offline Chelc

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 05:04:45 PM »
If somebody doesn't add to this soon then,
 >:(

Offline audal

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »
The silence is only because none of would dare presume we can tell your psuedo-autobiography the way you can...

And what's more, I've found that I've never been able to fully capture the essence of the meerfrog.  I would be doing both you and the frog a terrible disservice.  Early mid-life angst & universal longing I can handle.  Meerfrogs, not so much.

So it's all you, Chelc!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Chelc

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 07:20:39 PM »
 :'(
Ah well. I'll do it later. I'm off to a PARTAH!
 :p2:

Offline Oxlahun

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
 :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof3: :rof3: :rof3: :rof3: :rof3: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Yeah as i was reading this i realized that i laugh like a hyena. Did you know laughing boost you rimmune system? Thanks for making me laugh when i'm sick!!!!
rejections: 1
partials: 1
pending: 0 (but that is going to change!)

Offline Chelc

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »
oh my gosh...thanks Bailey for reviving this long lost thread....and reminding me of the inspiration for why I ended up writing this thing! (summer band practice last year...lost a contact...drove home half-blind...very very dark...raining...decided to take the long, creepy way home...)