Author Topic: for those on self-imposed deadlines  (Read 3524 times)

Offline 007 fan

• Eye right store ease.
for those on self-imposed deadlines
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »
I thought I would share what my spouse says to me whenever I don't meet a deadline I set for myself and I get upset about it.

When I was writing my current WIP and it was taking longer to complete than I first planned, he would say, "Well, it will take however long it takes.  Just write it good." 

As I polish the completed MS, and it's taking longer than I planned, he says, "Well, it will take however long it takes.  Just make it good." 

It always cracks me up.  lol   But it is true...quality is better than quickness.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:12:03 AM by ece007 »
:write:                                                                          :cbash:

Offline quiarahb

Re: for those on self-imposed deadlines
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:21:17 AM »
I agree. We can't and shouldn't put so much on ourselves. If we don't meet a deadline, it's okay. It's not the end of of the world. A story should be finessed. So your hubby is right, and he sounds awesome! :)

Offline gogo5358

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »
He's so right. I have to remind myself of that when I'm working on my MS. Some days I feel like I get nowhere, and I'm just about ready to give up on making it work. Then I remember that time is not important, but making the MS as good as I can is. Then I get back to the grindstone with a little more patience. At least until the next time I feel like I get nowhere.

You've got a very smart husband ece.  ;D
Hakuna matata.

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
"I love deadlines...  And I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
-Douglas Adams

It'll be done when it's done.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
Teaching four young girls how to fly fish involves untangling a LOT of knots. That's basically 90% of the job. Anyway, the exchange I always have with them when I'm doing that (to the point they roll their eyes, but that just means it's sinking in) is:

Me: You know how long it takes to untie a knot?

Daughter: (eyeroll) "'As long as it takes. Unless you try to do it faster than that, in which case it takes longer.'"
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Teaching four young girls how to fly fish involves untangling a LOT of knots. That's basically 90% of the job. Anyway, the exchange I always have with them when I'm doing that (to the point they roll their eyes, but that just means it's sinking in) is:

Daughter: (eyeroll) "'As long as it takes. Unless you try to do it faster than that, in which case it takes longer.'"

I'd believe teaching four young girls how to fly fish is a monstrous feat in itself. But then again, I'm terrified of fish. So...maybe other girls could do it.

__

Also, ece, it's my believe that the first drafts of novels will ALWAYS suck. if it doesn't, you're not doing it right.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »
I definitely agree with your husband, ece. I started writing my book in November 2012. I wanted it finished and queried by the end of 2013. That didn't happen. Then I wanted to be agented by the time Alexis was born. That didn't happen. And while I've started querying, I'm still polishing the MS. It takes as long as it takes.

Mooky, your ad nauseum knot-untying advice is perfect.

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »

I make my husband bait the hook on my cane pole. now that's fishing!
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:57:54 AM »
I make my husband bait the hook on my cane pole. now that's fishing!

That's what the menfolk are for  :wink:
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website