Author Topic: Okay, so I'm a control freak  (Read 5870 times)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Okay, so I'm a control freak
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
I've been indie publishing for three entire months now  :yes: and I have to say I'm enjoying the heck out of it. It's stressful and I don't sell MUCH but I do sell some, and I'm planning and laying groundwork, and I love doing this job. But it's totally spoiled me.

I'm reading about product funnels and decided to create one for my Christmas novella The Boys Upstairs (which is listed at $.99 right now because the publisher forgot to adjust the price after the sale ended.) I wrote a short story and it's going to be permanent-free so people can have effecitvely a free sample before they spend money, and that way they know they like the character and the writing style. BUT….the contract on the novella says they have the right to publish any sequels. This is a prequel, but I'm also not a jerk, so I talked to them. Publisher said I could send it and they'll just post it and make it free. Easy.

I sent it to them three days ago and it's still not posted.  :draw: *I* could have had it posted by now. *I* could have done the formatting and gotten it ready and email blasted it and so on. *I* don't like waiting for people. *I* could be generating sales.

I've officially become a control freak. (I'm also having a good laugh at myself: three days for a publisher is five seconds for a writer. I know this. Humor me.)

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
Re: Okay, so I'm a control freak
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
Cool! Nothing wrong with being in charge
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
Hah!

I would be super irritated about this too. Like, hurry up and publish it! What's taking so long?
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
I know! Don't they realize I'm top priority, and not the other hundred writers who think they're top priority?  :koolaid:

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
Exactly!

(And also, we both know who actually is the top priority (spoiler: it's you))
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »
The other part of me just wishes I could say "When ya gonna do this?" without sounding like a nag. When it's me and I'm the one who's procrastinating, that's easily done -- or rather, I don't care if I sound like a nag to myself. Someone has to nag me. But technically the publisher is doing this without getting any immediate revenue from it (other than future ebook sales) so I'm less inclined to nag her when she's probably got it all under control and knows when everything's going live. She said something about including it in their newsletter, so maybe that's when she intends to hit the switch.

Still, I could have done it by now. Harrumph.  :rant:

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
Going Indie does spoil you.  :)

I'm glad you're having fun with Indie publishing, Tabris. I too enjoy Indie publishing. I use free short stories as a means to advertise my novel and novella. I include a three chapter excerpt of the book I am advertising in each short story I release.

Best of luck with your project.
Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/