Author Topic: Unicorn Writer's Conf. in Purchase, New York  (Read 72886 times)

Offline jjcolacchio

Unicorn Writer's Conf. in Purchase, New York
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Hey All,
I am headed to my first Writer's Conference in March!  So so nervous, I am not good at networking.  Other than getting business cards printed up, do you all have any advice for a socially awkward author? :'(

I am also getting an agent to look at my manuscript, I am going to be a mess until March!  HELP! :no:
JJColacchio

Offline brandon1107

Re: Unicorn Writer's Conf. in Purchase, New York
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:47:53 PM »
It got rescheduled to August 15th. Anyone still going to this?

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:46 PM »
I have no clue how it works, but good luck!
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline jjcolacchio

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »
I am still going to the Unicorn Writer's Conference. I am looking forward to it. Anyone want to network? I think that is another word for "drink wine." :yes:

Offline brandon1107

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »
I'll be there "networking" too! Never been to a writers conference before, so I'm excited.

Offline jjcolacchio

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:15:29 AM »
It is my first writing conference too. Did you sign up for a one on one with an agent? I did, but I am not sure who it is now because it got rescheduled. I am not good at the "Pitch" sort of stuff, but got to bite the bullet :ninja:

Offline maryj59

• my livejournal
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
I'll be there, too! And yes, I signed up for a one-on-one, which has me very nervous! I need to redo my business cards, as well. My second conference; my first was SCBWI in Manhattan. Let's look out for each other!

Offline jjcolacchio

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »
I am starting to get excited for the conference. Trying not to get high hopes, but, you know an authors heart is!

We should figure out a place at the Unicorn Writer's Conference for all Qt'ers to meet. Hmmm...

Anyone see the post on "GoFundMe" by the Unicorn Writer's Conference? I am not sure how I feel about that.  ???

Offline maryj59

• my livejournal
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
I didn't see the gofundme thing. Not sure how I feel about that, either. Let's try to arrange a meeting place when the conference gets closer.

I'm mostly scared now, btw, but I'm alternating that with hopefulness.

Offline jjcolacchio

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
As the Unicorn Conf. nears, other than battling the butterflies in my stomach, I am trying to work on a pitch and getting business cards made up. Does anyone have any advice about what to put on them? I have read that you should get your pic put on them. I absolutely hate to have my picture taken. Would it be weird to have a totem or something creative put in place of my photo? Other than my name and contact info, what should I include?

QT'ers should figure out somewhere to meet. I will probably be by the pastries at 9am :)

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »
Picture is good for anyone you are networking with. That way, they'll remember you when they are adding you to Facebook or twitter.  :)

Most of the agents will not take your card, or if they do, they'll leave them on the table.

Offline maryj59

• my livejournal
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »
Jjcolachio, I'm at the keynote, and will be going to world building next. Blonde, black shirt and denim jacket, black and white skirt. Where are you?

Offline dreiner

• Derek Reiner
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
How was this conference? Did anything positive come out of it? Learn anything exciting?

Offline maryj59

• my livejournal
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
It may be too early to say, but I got a request for a full (after revisions) on my YA SF novel from the editor I met with for my one on one, and a request for a partial from Lane Heymount after I pitched the book to him. So I was pretty psyched. I also really enjoyed two of the classes: one by Paul Witcover on SF and Fantasy worlds, and one by Jacob Appel called "what can writers learn from linguists"?

I was taken aback at first by some of the requested revisions, and I don't agree with all of them - but the revising I've done so far has me happy and excited. So I'd say it was pretty positive, even if I don't end up with a contract or an agent. Also, in Mr. Witcover, I've discovered another SF/Fantasy author I'd like to read.

So yes, I'd recommend this conference!