Author Topic: Where's My Reply???  (Read 11318 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Where's My Reply???
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
Do you guys ever read the comments on the main site and wonder why writers who submitted queries on the exact same date as you already received a reply from that agent? Is this because agents read out of order? Is there a 'maybe' pile? Do they deem some queries worthy of a form rejection while others get silence??? HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!  :'(

*Tries not to obsess over the inbox*
*Takes up bracelet making*
*Thinks about cleaning something*
*Drinks a little more than usual*
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
Re: Where's My Reply???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »
IDK but the same thing drives me crazy!
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Missus Braidyhead

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
Ooh bracelets--shiny! Pics?

I've heard of the "maybe" pile, & the legend of it comforted me. I sometimes thought the "maybe" pile was more of an intern thing, like they thought it had potential but weren't sure & wanted the agent to look it over before requesting. Maybe.

Maybe. Ugh.

My advice is to do the bracelets and distract yourself creatively however you can. The whole thing is maddening, so hang in there! Wishing you luck!

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
I nudged an agent a while ago and she said I was in a maybe pile. I'm still waiting for her response. She's closed to queries now.

Harrumph.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
So the maybe pile exists! Thanks for sharing, X! I hope you hear back on those fulls.

I'm working on macramé because something about tying hundreds of tiny knots is soothing/distracting. I'll attempt to share pix when I'm done, Miss B!!

Thanks for the words if comfort, guys. :)
www.alyconner.com

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
So the maybe pile exists! Thanks for sharing, X! I hope you hear back on those fulls.

I'm working on macramé because something about tying hundreds of tiny knots is soothing/distracting. I'll attempt to share pix when I'm done, Miss B!!

Thanks for the words if comfort, guys. :)

Thanks! I'm at 47 days, 53 days, and 57 days for three and less than a week for the other two. So I'm starting to bite my fingernails!

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
It is frustrating. I have had a full out since December with an agent who switched agencies, so I nudged at her new agency recently just to make sure she took it with her... and nothing. I don't expect anything from a cold query but the "crickets" on a full is maddening.

"decides to shop on line for bracelets because, not crafty at all"
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline paddler

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
Be positive. Rejections are almost automatic so consider the wait as getting past the "form rejection" button.

I personally don't think it is a good idea to nudge a query. They are messages in a bottle. Keep sending them until the currents of ether space carry them to some karmic spot and you fairy godmother whops some unsuspecting agent upside their head and they notice you.

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
Be positive. Rejections are almost automatic so consider the wait as getting past the "form rejection" button.

I personally don't think it is a good idea to nudge a query. They are messages in a bottle. Keep sending them until the currents of ether space carry them to some karmic spot and you fairy godmother whops some unsuspecting agent upside their head and they notice you.

Agreed! I wouldn't nudge on a query unless I had an offer and felt a different agent may like the story as well. (That's how nudging on queries works, right?)

I just hope my fairy godmother isn't drinking in a tavern somewhere--too drunk to bedazzle agents for me. That's probably the kind of fairy I have...  Lol
www.alyconner.com

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
It is frustrating. I have had a full out since December with an agent who switched agencies, so I nudged at her new agency recently just to make sure she took it with her... and nothing. I don't expect anything from a cold query but the "crickets" on a full is maddening.

"decides to shop on line for bracelets because, not crafty at all"

I feel ya! I have a full out for a previous project. I decided not to wait for an answer before querying my next book because she's a YEAR out on fulls. I would love a pleasant surprise but I'm not holding my breath and I'm excited about this other story now.
www.alyconner.com

Offline boxofredpens

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
I just hope my fairy godmother isn't drinking in a tavern somewhere--too drunk to bedazzle agents for me. That's probably the kind of fairy I have...  Lol

Haha! This explains so much. I suspect my fairy godmother is also a regular there.

Offline boxofredpens

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
aaand clearly all my pixie dust has settled at the bottom of some tankard somewhere, as I don't even know how to post a quote properly! :(

Anyhow, good luck to all, and cheers to good news!!!

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »
aaand clearly all my pixie dust has settled at the bottom of some tankard somewhere, as I don't even know how to post a quote properly! :(

Anyhow, good luck to all, and cheers to good news!!!

Haha!! Right back atcha!!
www.alyconner.com

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Okay… How do you share an image???
www.alyconner.com

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 06:03:48 AM »
In the second bar of buttons, the first one looks somewhat like a picture frame. (It's not super-clear, and but it's next to the world one.) CLick that and it will come up with a command code for images with the cursor between the brackets. Put the image URL between the brackets and it will show up.