Author Topic: Marketing that has worked for you...  (Read 24664 times)

Offline EmmieMears

• Photo by Tigran Markaryan of Calypso Digital.
    • Strong Female Character.
Marketing that has worked for you...
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »
I'm pretty new to self-publishing, and I think my first release kind of hit right at the right time and harnessed some word of mouth I wasn't expecting.

I haven't really done any marketing except for one high profile guest blog (Chuck Wendig's blog) and two Facebook ads. The first Facebook ad I couldn't really gauge in terms of efficacy, but the second one was a definite flop (which makes me think the first one was also a flop).

I'm wondering what you all have found effective -- my two books both have 20+ reviews with an average of 4.5-4.8 stars.

Some things I'm considering:

-trying to snag a BookBub spot for the Storm 2 release in June and Shrike 2 in September (this is fairly widely touted as grail-like and obviously not a sure thing)
-releasing a couple short stories for free in-world

Have any things worked well for you?
Author of STORM IN A TEACUP (February 2015: http://amzn.to/1KkV9kS), ANY PORT IN A STORM (June 2015: http://amzn.to/1F4hZ9d), and SHRIKE: THE MASKED SONGBIRD (July 2014/April 2015: http://amzn.to/1HX1iPd)

http://www.emmiemears.com

farseer

Re: Marketing that has worked for you...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:11:35 AM »
The best marketing advice is to keep writing. There's little point in trying to market a solo book. Readers these days tend to impulse buy, if they read one book and like it, they will immediately look for what else you have available to purchase. For self publishing you really need a catalogue of work behind you.

Bookbub is the gorilla of advertisers. Waiting until you have book 2 ready to go is great. Having 3 or more in the series would be even better. My last campaign I made it to #23 overall on Amazon and spent three days in the top 100. Even better it catapulted the rest of the series skyward. I'm looking at my best payday ever when that falls due  ;D

The other thing I would recommend is hanging out on the K-boards. I personally haven't found this forum particularly indie friendly (I even received a lovely anonymous pm a year or two ago telling me I was an example of the crap that wasn't good enough to land an agent). The k-boards are a fantastic resource on everything from keywords, categories, blurb doctors to ROI analysis of multiple different advertisers.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
I personally haven't found this forum particularly indie friendly (I even received a lovely anonymous pm a year or two ago telling me I was an example of the crap that wasn't good enough to land an agent). The k-boards are a fantastic resource on everything from keywords, categories, blurb doctors to ROI analysis of multiple different advertisers.

I was going to ask you who sent you that message and then i read a little closer  :emb2:

I think the board has really opened up about indie, i just don't think we have as many indie writers here as elsewhere because it's the QT forum and most people find their way here because of querying
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
There are still many writers who resent self-published authors. Believing, for some reason, self publishing has hurt their own chances of achieving success though the traditional route.

There were tons of bad books published, before the days of digital self-publishing. Those did no damage to the good stories that were also published, other than take up shelf space for six weeks, until they were shipped back or destroyed.

There will always be bad books published. The world is inundated with bad products, tires, appliances, cars, computers, and phones, but that does not stop manufactures of good products from selling their stuff. If it did, Michelin, GM, and Apple would not be in business.

Readers want to read a good story, but the vast majority do not care how a book was published.

Whether one pursues the traditional route or self-published route, every writer has a chance to get their stories out. Readers will determine which stories are good and which ones are bad.

Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline Kimberly-

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
If you also offer a print copy of your books, try a Goodreads giveaway - that's an awesome way to get your book(s) seen by a lot of readers but you do have to have a print version of the book.

Just found a post about the Goodreads giveaway that I did before - check out this link and scroll to the bottom for more details.

http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=17900.msg213583#msg213583
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:05:32 PM by KimberlyAfe »

farseer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »
I was going to ask you who sent you that message and then i read a little closer  :emb2:

I think the board has really opened up about indie, i just don't think we have as many indie writers here as elsewhere because it's the QT forum and most people find their way here because of querying

I have a suspicion who it was based on the wording and a thread here that blew out of control at the time. I also had driveby 1-star trolls on my books at the same time, which is why I took them out of my signature.

This site is a fantastic resource for querying, and that is it's primary focus. I still swing by here out of habit, after starting back in 2011 on the discussion threads on the main site. I personally don't think there is another site that even comes close to being as useful as QT and the ability to save lists and results when querying. And don't get me started on the data explorer, I loved that  ;D When I encounter people just starting out on their querying journey in other forums, I always send them here.

Querying is this site's strength, but it's not really a forum for the next stage - either self publishing or for discussing advertising/marketing. That's where I think the K-Boards are a hugely helpful resource. When you self publish you need to understand the importance of keywords and categories. There's also pinned threads with cover artists, editors and formatters. Users share their Bookbub numbers and sell through rates or you can get involved in a detailed discussion about FB analytics. It's a site that has all the nitty gritty stuff that self publishers need to maximum your advertising dollar.

Offline EmmieMears

• Photo by Tigran Markaryan of Calypso Digital.
    • Strong Female Character.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:54:51 AM »

I have a suspicion who it was based on the wording and a thread here that blew out of control at the time. I also had driveby 1-star trolls on my books at the same time, which is why I took them out of my signature.

This site is a fantastic resource for querying, and that is it's primary focus. I still swing by here out of habit, after starting back in 2011 on the discussion threads on the main site. I personally don't think there is another site that even comes close to being as useful as QT and the ability to save lists and results when querying. And don't get me started on the data explorer, I loved that  ;D When I encounter people just starting out on their querying journey in other forums, I always send them here.

Querying is this site's strength, but it's not really a forum for the next stage - either self publishing or for discussing advertising/marketing. That's where I think the K-Boards are a hugely helpful resource. When you self publish you need to understand the importance of keywords and categories. There's also pinned threads with cover artists, editors and formatters. Users share their Bookbub numbers and sell through rates or you can get involved in a detailed discussion about FB analytics. It's a site that has all the nitty gritty stuff that self publishers need to maximum your advertising dollar.

Thanks, Farseer -- I appreciate the advice.

I discovered the categories/keywords the hard way. I think if I'd maximized that out of the gate Storm might have even done better, but....c'est la vie.

I definitely know that the best way to get known in general is to just keep writing, regardless of whether trade pubbed or indie. I've got an every two months schedule for this year (modeled after my insanely successful friend Shannon Mayer's release schedule), and I've blocked out most of 2016 as well, because even if my agent sells my epic fantasy/magical realism today, they likely wouldn't be out until 2017 at this point, so I'm trying to strike while the non-compete is a not-a-thing.
Author of STORM IN A TEACUP (February 2015: http://amzn.to/1KkV9kS), ANY PORT IN A STORM (June 2015: http://amzn.to/1F4hZ9d), and SHRIKE: THE MASKED SONGBIRD (July 2014/April 2015: http://amzn.to/1HX1iPd)

http://www.emmiemears.com

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »

Yeah i have heard great things about the K boards. It would definitely be my first stop if i ever dive into indie (and some day i might)
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
sorry, I'm dumb. What are the K Boards?

My experience with Goodreads giveaways was a mixed bag. I gave away a total of three books and got one nice, thoughtful and mostly positive review. One person seemed to immediately vanish from the site and later I happened to see him as an amazon seller who had a used copy of my book for sale (classy!)  the other person never rated or reviewed it. So, for me, it was a waste of money and postage overall because of the people who entered the giveaway and let the default "add to your to read list" box stay checked, they never ended up reading or reviewing it.
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
I personally haven't found this forum particularly indie friendly (I even received a lovely anonymous pm a year or two ago telling me I was an example of the crap that wasn't good enough to land an agent).

That's funny, because I've been hammered in some PMs because I'm focused on querying as marketing (which is 100% true) and therefore hate anything but shallow, commercial fiction (which is 100% false). It's a weird "almost down-side" to a community like this. We start thinking about the community and not the ostensible reason we are here (which is successfully pitching books to agents).

Those blurred lines are probably going to be the site's salvation, though. I'll bet few traditionally published authors will ONLY be traditionally published authors in the future. That awesome short story project that Random House wouldn't touch (although they love your detective series or whatever) suddenly has a home and a brand and can exist free of the pressures of the balance sheet as a self-pubbed work.
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline Thulsa_Doom

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
sorry, I'm dumb. What are the K Boards?

That would be the Writers Cafe in the Kindle Users Forum. Pretty easy to google. Its a single board that moves VERY fast, and has a propensity for drama, or so I've heard. But the advice is EXCELLENT.
Got an agent, lost an agent, got another one.