Author Topic: I think I'm going crazy!!! (For real this time.)  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: I think I'm going crazy!!! (For real this time.)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »
I'll be starting the query process with my fourth novel this summer. I'm right there with you. I'm very frustrated.

What has been really frustrating to me is the extreme luck of having quite a few author friends that have read my novels and provided feedback. The frustrating part is all of them have no idea why I haven't found an agent.

I have friends like that. I find it really hard to feel so confident in their chances and then see them not get requests. I just has to be a timing and luck thing, i guess.
But at least in those cases, I'm pretty sure they WILL land an agent and a deal, it's all just going to come down to when the timing is right for them. Which is frustrating, yes, but at least i feel like they WILL get there, y'know?
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 11:50:49 AM »
I'll be starting the query process with my fourth novel this summer. I'm right there with you. I'm very frustrated.

What has been really frustrating to me is the extreme luck of having quite a few author friends that have read my novels and provided feedback. The frustrating part is all of them have no idea why I haven't found an agent.

I have friends like that. I find it really hard to feel so confident in their chances and then see them not get requests. I just has to be a timing and luck thing, i guess.
But at least in those cases, I'm pretty sure they WILL land an agent and a deal, it's all just going to come down to when the timing is right for them. Which is frustrating, yes, but at least i feel like they WILL get there, y'know?

Thank you, Sarah. I hope so.

I was talking to a debut author last year who finally hit on the third novel. He summed it up as the writer's journey is a scale of 1 to 100. As you get better with your craft you climb the scale. Many start off below 50, especially if they have never written anything longer than an email or haven't seen the inside of a classroom in 20 years. You'll get requests as you go and the higher you go doesn't mean more request, but the feedback tends to get better. All of that is between 1 and 80. The next ten becomes a back and forth zone where you may get several R&Rs and maybe even a phone call. This is where you may really feel you're close. So close that the frustration starts. You may even get an offer if you're near the 90 mark. Next comes the last 10. This is the point I think Sara has mentioned. Everyone that reads your manuscript has very little to say other than a misspelled word or a forgotten period. You get lots of partial and full requests. You get partial to full requests. You get R&Rs with detailed feedback. The agents are very responsive to your follow-up questions. Then...nothing. No mater what you change, it's just not right. With my first novel, I actually thought I hit pay dirt. I had calls with two agents. One of the agents, was a top 10 selling agent last year, but nothing came of it. The 2nd novel, we'll just toss up as an angry novel. Although I received more requests than my first novel, I think I shoved too much action into the novel. I thought that's what everyone wanted, so I gave them a novel that never slept, a constant descent on a rollercoaster. My third novel, I believe I was right there on the cusp. Lots of requests. Lots of R&Rs. Compliments and blurbs from five NYT bestselling authors. Although I sent out about half as many queries as the previous novels, I figured the novel wasn't going anywhere. So, I'm hoping I continue to get better and continue to find that story that finally gets me to that 100 mark.

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »

Thank you, Sarah. I hope so.

I was talking to a debut author last year who finally hit on the third novel. He summed it up as the writer's journey is a scale of 1 to 100. As you get better with your craft you climb the scale. Many start off below 50, especially if they have never written anything longer than an email or haven't seen the inside of a classroom in 20 years. You'll get requests as you go and the higher you go doesn't mean more request, but the feedback tends to get better. All of that is between 1 and 80. The next ten becomes a back and forth zone where you may get several R&Rs and maybe even a phone call. This is where you may really feel you're close. So close that the frustration starts. You may even get an offer if you're near the 90 mark. Next comes the last 10. This is the point I think Sara has mentioned. Everyone that reads your manuscript has very little to say other than a misspelled word or a forgotten period. You get lots of partial and full requests. You get partial to full requests. You get R&Rs with detailed feedback. The agents are very responsive to your follow-up questions. Then...nothing. No mater what you change, it's just not right. With my first novel, I actually thought I hit pay dirt. I had calls with two agents. One of the agents, was a top 10 selling agent last year, but nothing came of it. The 2nd novel, we'll just toss up as an angry novel. Although I received more requests than my first novel, I think I shoved too much action into the novel. I thought that's what everyone wanted, so I gave them a novel that never slept, a constant descent on a rollercoaster. My third novel, I believe I was right there on the cusp. Lots of requests. Lots of R&Rs. Compliments and blurbs from five NYT bestselling authors. Although I sent out about half as many queries as the previous novels, I figured the novel wasn't going anywhere. So, I'm hoping I continue to get better and continue to find that story that finally gets me to that 100 mark.

Amen to that!! I think we need to give ourselves some credit. For me, the first novel gained NO requests. (No responses for that matter.) Each one has steadily increased in request rate. I had the second one published through a small press, which was a great experience, but now I'm wanting to step up my career. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I guess that's all I can do right now!
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »
But, as I'm now querying agents with my fourth book, a little voice is whispering negative things in my ear. 'You should've already landed an agent by now. You must not be that good...' Etc, etc

I had the same thought after receiving my first five form rejections on my first ever manuscript.  It's not getting any easier, is it?   >:(
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline rainyrain2015

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:56 AM »
I totally understand!

I don't think agents have any idea how hard it is to right a novel, especially a decent one!

I got 3 rejections today. 3. In.One.Day. Fudge.

2 on queries and then one at night on a partial.

I don't know if it's good or bad I was already drinking wine when I got that email!

It sucks. I was really looking forward to that one, that agent.

I still have hope but it's hard.

The agent said some really good things and like one thing not so good. Is it wrong that I hold onto the positive??? OMG this is hard!!!!

I feel like I'm close. I do. There was praise in there but basically the takeaway is that I need to rewrite it (which I'm doing). I feel like I'm close and I'm hoping that's not delusional! It takes a long time to get to where agents even say anything good.

Why oh Why did I pick such a hard genre!!?? Stupid of me but I love my book & my characters.

I have no more 🍷🍷🍷🍷 just the lingering feeling of disappointment and the start of a headache...

But I should say that as strange as it sounds, this time I'm not that upset because I have a game plan. I'm already revising... and feeling optimistic. Maybe it's delusion but it feels better than the alternative!

Oy. :cry: :bonk:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:21:13 AM by rainyrain2015 »

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »
But, as I'm now querying agents with my fourth book, a little voice is whispering negative things in my ear. 'You should've already landed an agent by now. You must not be that good...' Etc, etc

I had the same thought after receiving my first five form rejections on my first ever manuscript.  It's not getting any easier, is it?   >:(

Oh no, it totally does. I mean, the rejections always suck, and some more than others, but there will be good, personal comments, and there will be R&Rs and there will be exuberant praise and then there will be phone calls and all that stuff.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »

Oh no, it totally does. I mean, the rejections always suck, and some more than others, but there will be good, personal comments, and there will be R&Rs and there will be exuberant praise and then there will be phone calls and all that stuff.

Agreed. I definitely wrote this post in a moment of darkness. Annnd then I got another request for a full. Lol It seems to happen that way--just when I hit lows, I'm encouraged by positive responses. I definitely think it matters which day you ask me. ;) I think the pressure I'm putting on myself is what gets worse with time. Close calls don't help. But I agree with Sarah--there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
www.alyconner.com

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
I totally understand!

I don't think agents have any idea how hard it is to right a novel, especially a decent one!

I got 3 rejections today. 3. In.One.Day. Fudge.

2 on queries and then one at night on a partial.

I don't know if it's good or bad I was already drinking wine when I got that email!

It sucks. I was really looking forward to that one, that agent.

I still have hope but it's hard.

The agent said some really good things and like one thing not so good. Is it wrong that I hold onto the positive??? OMG this is hard!!!!

I feel like I'm close. I do. There was praise in there but basically the takeaway is that I need to rewrite it (which I'm doing). I feel like I'm close and I'm hoping that's not delusional! It takes a long time to get to where agents even say anything good.

Why oh Why did I pick such a hard genre!!?? Stupid of me but I love my book & my characters.

I have no more 🍷🍷🍷🍷 just the lingering feeling of disappointment and the start of a headache...

But I should say that as strange as it sounds, this time I'm not that upset because I have a game plan. I'm already revising... and feeling optimistic. Maybe it's delusion but it feels better than the alternative!

Oy. :cry: :bonk:

It's definitely not delusional to remain optimistic! Though I've clearly had the same feelings :) Game plans are the best. Sure beats staring at the wall, moping. (Not sure if it beats wine, though. Wine's amazing.)
www.alyconner.com

Offline boxofredpens

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
You are all so inspiring! I've been really feeling low the last couple weeks (said this in another thread, but basically Dream Agent showed my novel to an editor at the Big 5, editor loved it, then Dream Agent form-rejected), and it's been tough living without my usual enthusiasm and excitement for my novel. But reading all of these comments makes me feel way, way better. More back to normal :)

rainyrain, I think it's awesome you're so positive! Not delusional at all! Are you planning on sending your revision to agents who already have your material when you're finished?

Wine IS amazing, AlythiaB!!! Cheers to that!

Offline rainyrain2015

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »
boxofredpens: I'm glad! I have no idea why I feel calmer this time, LOL. I think it's very important for writers to support each other.

Thanks to the OP for staring the thread and sharing a lowpoint. We've all been there.

It's tough in the trenches!  :draw:

boxofredpens: OW! That is tough. But I hope you keep going. It only takes ONE YES.  :up:

Cheers to wine!

A novelist shared her daily affirmations and I've been reading them and find them super helpful. I guess they're working! I've also been distracting myself with creating a new website. If I ever get it up and running, I'll share the post on the affirmations!

Ah -- that is the question. I have to send the revisions to the ones who already have fulls, I believe. I learned a lot from the 2 agents who gave me very different feedback and I am feeling positive about revising. I know some around here have given good advice so I am certainly going to look around the forums before I do it & try to figure out how to do that...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:46:16 PM by rainyrain2015 »

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
You are all so inspiring! I've been really feeling low the last couple weeks (said this in another thread, but basically Dream Agent showed my novel to an editor at the Big 5, editor loved it, then Dream Agent form-rejected), and it's been tough living without my usual enthusiasm and excitement for my novel. But reading all of these comments makes me feel way, way better. More back to normal :)

rainyrain, I think it's awesome you're so positive! Not delusional at all! Are you planning on sending your revision to agents who already have your material when you're finished?

Wine IS amazing, AlythiaB!!! Cheers to that!

Wait. Whaaa??? Why did she form reject after showing an editor who loved it?!?! Dear God, I'm sending you virtual hugs and wine! Point me to the thread or something!
www.alyconner.com