Author Topic: Anyone know why agents/publishing people complain about BEA?  (Read 8367 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Hey guys,

So I'm getting the impression that publishing people aren't the biggest fans of BEA, or at least there's a lot of complaining. Some have tweeted about it being a 'captivity at javits center' event. One even claimed he was probably the only one in publishing who enjoyed it.

Anyone know why? Is it just all the work that goes into it, but they enjoy it later? Is it just overdone? Why would the publishing industry seem opposed (yet strong-armed) into an event for publishing? I'm sincerely not trying to be snarky. I'm just a little confused. I've also never attended. Maybe it's great once and only once? Thoughts?
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline QuietWriter

Re: Anyone know why agents/publishing people complain about BEA?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
It's an absolute zoo, according to people I know who've attended. They have pretty much no internet access, crowded bathrooms, it's hot, people coming up to you to make deals or give offers on the floor...it can be exhausting.

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
It's an absolute zoo, according to people I know who've attended. They have pretty much no internet access, crowded bathrooms, it's hot, people coming up to you to make deals or give offers on the floor...it can be exhausting.

Makes sense. This was kinda what I figured. I wonder why people go then. There are probably many other (smaller scale) events to network. Interesting.
www.alyconner.com

munley

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
No idea what BEA is.

Offline InvisibleInk

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
Jessica Sinsheimer and Roseanne Wells talked about it on the last PubTalkTv (which if you don't watch, you should!).  Apparently, yes, it's crazy and exhausting. But there's also a lot of networking and events they'd miss out on if they didn't go. So it's a mix of dread and not wanting to be the only one who missed all the fabulous opportunities.

Offline QuietWriter

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
Yeah, for as much of a headache as it can be, you kind of have to go if you're an industry professional. You get to see what books publishers are launching and excited about. It's a chance to get ARCs and see editors and other various colleagues in person. Film and other subrights people will be there to scope out what's hot, but you as an agent can stay in the forefront of their mind by going, "Hey, John Hollywood, let's grab a drink later tonight. I've got this great project you might be interested in." One of my friend's books that had actually been pulled from being subbed to American publishers had her book receive an offer while on the floor of BEA. A British publisher who didn't get the memo about the pulled sub ran into our mutual agent and said, "We want this book. Let's talk." That book came out yesterday and has received starred reviews. So amazing things do happen at BEA.

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
BEA = BookExpo America
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline Doggy Teng

• Lara Campbell McGehee, SF and Fantasy Author
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
No idea what BEA is.
I didn't know what it was either. ;D  I had to go look it up . . .

BEA = BookExpo America
Thanks for clarifying that for anyone else who might not be familiar with it! :)

Offline AlythiaB

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
You guys make great points! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to go to an event like this one in the future.
www.alyconner.com

munley

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »

Offline Falthor

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
i think ti's funny that the Canadian knows what it is...  :-)

not sure I'd like to go to something like this or not.  the networking would be hampered by how many people are cramming in...  if you get what I mean.

Offline KimE

• Kim-English.com
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
I've wanted to go to but I've never been clear whether authors are welcome to come on their own or whether you have to be invited or be an agent/publisher to attend
I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »
I've wanted to go to but I've never been clear whether authors are welcome to come on their own or whether you have to be invited or be an agent/publisher to attend

oh no, anyone can go. I've always wanted to go just for all the free books and stuff (and I've always secretly wanted to do a signing there)
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Falthor

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
well, I'll be signing book tonight at my local Chapters...  at least until mall security kicks me out...   :-)

gckatz

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
It seems like it would be loads of fun if it was low-commitment for you, like if you were an author and just had to sit at a table and sign/talk about your book, or if you just went as a reader to get freebies and stuff. (Assuming you don't mind crowds.)

But if you were actually there to work and had things you needed to get done, that's high pressure. Like if you're an agent with a book that you've been having trouble selling and this is your last good opportunity to pitch it, it would be super stressful and you wouldn't have any chance to relax and enjoy the fun aspects of it.