Author Topic: Anyone know why agents/publishing people complain about BEA?  (Read 8460 times)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Anyone know why agents/publishing people complain about BEA?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »
Like if you're an agent with a book that you've been having trouble selling and this is your last good opportunity to pitch it, it would be super stressful and you wouldn't have any chance to relax and enjoy the fun aspects of it.

Do agents actually pitch books at BEA?

gckatz

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »
How would I know? I've never gone.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
How would I know? I've never gone.

Oh, okay, you're just speculating. It sounded as if this was a standard practice.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »
Ah, apparently it is: http://carlywatters.com/2012/05/31/book-expo-america-12/  This is from three years ago, but she had 40 meetings set up over 4 days.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
Yeah there's definite pitching that happens at BEA
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Fleetwood75

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
I've only been once, but for a writer it was a blast! You do a signing, a little press, meet a bunch of authors you've long admired, and then go to some really fun parties. For everyone else, I'm sure those days feel like they are never-ending. All the support staff looked completely stressed. The editors were trying to keep their authors happy (I know it's hard to believe, but some people can be divas!) while squeezing in a million meetings. All the big-wigs were there, looking over everyone's shoulder. It's super crowded and folks waiting in line can get a little squirrelly. After running around all day they've got to plaster on some smiles and work their way through cocktail meet-and-greets. Then, they have to get up the next morning and do it all over again. They all looked so exhausted.

(And yeah, there's a lot of pitching going on. I have a friend who sold over a lunchtime pitch meeting at BEA!)

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 12:33:21 AM »
There are also foreign rights sales going on... not on the scale of Frankfurt, but still occurring. Publishers set up booths and authors are sometimes invited to sign. It varies by publisher. It's truly a trade show. This last one had a strange appearance by a Chinese publisher that garnered some attention. I'm sure if you google Chinese publisher BEA, it will pop up.

I don't go because I'm claustrophobic. BEA is pretty intense. I do ALA (Lots of librarians!), RT, RWA and sometimes TLA. I have some blogger friends who love BEA. It's a real crush. I'm sure it's taxing on the publishers and agents.
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline paddler

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »
Apparently there was a format change at BEA last year. The era of tons of free books is over. Janet Reid made a comment that the talk this year by New York Agents was that it would not be worth it to go to the one in Chicago next year.

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
Oh, you guys! The chaos sounds like so much fun! I still wanna go :D
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

Offline maryj59

• my livejournal
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 04:59:54 PM »
I've gone - as a librarian, not as a writer - for the last three years. The best thing we did (my sister and fellow librarian got me into this) was the booksellers' speed dating luncheon and the author tea. It's got to be exhausting for the authors, but we met Jesse Andrews and Kevin Henkes, among others, and Kevin Henkes showed us the ENITRE PROCESS of creating and revising one of his picture books. It was beyond awesome! :) And, both this year and last, we learned about books that the kids in our libraries would love. And we got lots of free copies.

I was feeling sad that I couldn't go to Chicago, but we'd have to do it on our own time and money, and I don't see that happening. If anyone is in the Chicago area, I really would advise it.

One thing: If you have a blog, peoples' eyes light up. I've really got to redo my business cards to emphasize that I'm a blogger as well as a writer and librarian. So - if you go, and you blog at all, be sure to let people know! Whether there will be as many ARCS I don't know, but I know publishers and authors are always looking for book reviews!

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 05:03:37 PM »
-skimming and saw the word Chicago- what's in Chicago I live in Chicago.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »
BEA next year!

You should definitely go, since you're right there! Free books. FREE BOOKS!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Oooh. That's a good idea. I'll probably have my drivers license and stuff too!
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019