Author Topic: To revise or not to revise?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline mslizwil

To revise or not to revise?
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
I got feedback from one agent, who passed, "albeit reluctantly" to use his words. He said all the juice
was in the beginning of the book and that the narrative "wound down." BUT, he called my writing
"superlative" and also said he thought another agent would pick it up as written.  Two other agents
have requested the full and one, the first 50 pages.

I know the narrative does wind down but I'm not sure how to fix it (it's memoir/creative nonfiction).
And I hesitate to do so, given his comments that another agent may pick it up as is. What do you
think?
Liz

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
Re: To revise or not to revise?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
If other agents have the ms., I would wait and see what their response is first. This is one agent's opinion. Others may think differently. Besides, he didn't give you anything specific, did he, just a general feeling that the book loses momentum after the beginning?

JeanneG

Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline mslizwil

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Hi, Jeanne,

He DID say that another agent may view it differently.  Yes, he offered no other suggestions or
criticisms other than what I mentioned.

I mean, I can leave it as is and start revising some chapters in a new file, but I'm going to wait
to see what my critique group says. Thanks for your response.
Liz

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »
i would wait, like jeanne said.

I find that if an agent says they think another agent will pick something up, and that their pass is reluctant, they're telling the truth.

But, i would hold off on sending any more queries, in case the other agents come back with any feedback
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline mslizwil

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
Yes, Sarah, you anticipated my next question.  I have held off sending any more queries, just
in case I get the same response from each agent, although I guess some just say they'll pass
without saying why. Out of between 30-40 queries sent out, I got three requests for the full and
one for the partial.  I'm satisfied with that.
Liz

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
Yeah I mean, if you think you may do a revisions, then definitely hold off on querying. But if you think there will likely not be any revising in your near future, query away!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website