Author Topic: A+B Works agency  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
A+B Works agency
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
Does anyone know anything about them? I've never heard of them or anything but one of their agents just used their wild card in Query Kombat (basically the agents have 2 wild cards to use to request a MS now versus waiting for the person to be knocked out and only getting a certain number of pages depending on what round they were knocked out on)to request a full of BOTR. But I don't know much about true agency.

Anyone know anything? Are they even on QT?
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
Re: A+B Works agency
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
I've never heard of them. But that doesn't mean anything. I mean, first off, Go you that she used her wild card on you! Was is off your old query or your new one?

I guess i would check out absolute write and see if they have anything about them
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 11:17:27 AM »
I've never heard of them. But that doesn't mean anything. I mean, first off, Go you that she used her wild card on you! Was is off your old query or your new one?

I guess i would check out absolute write and see if they have anything about them

New.

And Absolute Write says they're small but legit. P&E has a $ next to their name.

I just signed up for a Publisher's Marketplace account and it says she keeps a very small client list but her leading clients are Shannon Hale (when she was starting out), Jessica Day George, Dan Austin, Karen Day, and Kathleen Reid. Her deals are listed as "two-book", "nice", and "very nice", but IDK what that means. It looks like she works with big publishers. Overall, 15 deals, 2 being six figure+.

IDK if that's good or not.

WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Hah, Karen Day is my neighbor and one of my closest friends. Her son Harper eats more meals at my house than hers and calls my daughter Bridget his sister.

ETA, that means this is a spinoff from Janklow, because I know Mort Janklow was involved in her representation, and it must have been a split on good terms, because there's some crossover in the representation. Karen's a fairly heavy hitter in the NF world (she spent three months traveling with the Dalai Lama, Harper's met President Obama more than once, etc.). She's also a documentary filmmaker and when she was invited to Cannes I put her in touch with our own Cats (Adriana) who was there showcasing her latest film and it turned out whomever arranged free housing for Karen to try to tempt her there arranged it by having her bunk in the villa Cats was staying in.

Small, small world.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:37:29 AM by MookyMcD »
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:32:22 AM »
Hah, Karen Day is my neighbor and one of my closest friends. Her son Harper eats more meals at my house than hers and calls my daughter Bridget his sister.

Wow.

So I'm assuming she would vouch for Amy? (the agent)

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »
I also got my second wild card from Danielle Barthel from New Leaf. I sent it, but mentioned that Suzie also has the full.

Gawd. Both came within 30 minutes of each other.

If Query Kombat continues like this; I will be on fire.

Offline MookyMcD

• "hilarious and offensive and usually accurate"
    • michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
Her agent's first name is definitely Amy (it's come up in conversation more than once) and she'd vouch in a heartbeat.
I put the nati in Illuminati
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »
Her agent's first name is definitely Amy (it's come up in conversation more than once) and she'd vouch in a heartbeat.

Awesome. Guess I'm sending my full! :)

Offline kateran8

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
Her deals are listed as "two-book", "nice", and "very nice", but IDK what that means. It looks like she works with big publishers. Overall, 15 deals, 2 being six figure+.

Here's the key (they send it out in the weekly lunch newsletter):

The Key
A handy key to our Lunch deal categories. While all reports are always welcome, those that include a category will generally receive a higher listing when it comes time to put them all together.
"nice deal":   $1 - $49,000
"very nice deal":   $50,000 - $99,000
"good deal":   $100,000 - $250,000
"significant deal":   $251,000 - $499,000
"major deal":   $500,000 and up

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
Awesome! Glad to see your new query is kicking butt and taking names for you!

And Mooky, that is a crazy coincidence!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »
Awesome! Glad to see your new query is kicking butt and taking names for you!

And Mooky, that is a crazy coincidence!

Thanks! I'm hoping that more agents have requested that I haven't seen! I was worried the new query made it sound too much like a romance because I didn't have all the backstory but apparentlyy worries were wrong. Then again, romance is a strong element in the story so...