Author Topic: Agent response - is this a rejection?  (Read 4420 times)

Offline LisaMarie

Agent response - is this a rejection?
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
Not the standard rejection or response I've gotten before. I queried and a few days later I got a response.

"I really loved your query, but the voice feels too distant to me. I wanted to be more in Ana's head."

It seems like the agent left the door open for me to respond, but I don't want to overstep.

Would it be okay to respond back and as for some more details? Possibly being up a R&R possibility?

Thanks all, I'm so new to this :)

Offline lb92

Re: Agent response - is this a rejection?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
it's nice that she gave you a more personal responce, but unless she specifically asked to see the sample again, it's a rejection. agents are pretty clear about that. I wouldn't respond, just take what she gave you and see what you can with it

i hope this helps

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
I agree with Lab. I've had plenty of rejections and r&rs. You will know the difference.

As for the distance, are you using Ana's name too much? Once you've established the POV, you don't need to use Ana's name. Go with pronouns. That may be what the agent means. Just a guess.

Offline Checkways

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »
Not the standard rejection or response I've gotten before. I queried and a few days later I got a response.

"I really loved your query, but the voice feels too distant to me. I wanted to be more in Ana's head."

It seems like the agent left the door open for me to respond, but I don't want to overstep.

Would it be okay to respond back and as for some more details? Possibly being up a R&R possibility?

Thanks all, I'm so new to this :)

Psychic distance is actually fairly easy to fix but will require a lot of work to change for a whole novel. It may even force you to go 1st person.   I would wait before you are certain the change is good for the novel then requery the agent after you make the changes. No reason not to. At worst she says no, but at least you have a better ms now for other agents.

munley

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
Was the agent responding only to the query? That is all you mentioned.

The comment sounds more like something you'd get in response to a reading of a partial or a full manuscript.

Without seeing the query or or the first chapter, it's hard to tell what she meant. Even then it may not be possible to tell.

As for whether it's an invitation to re-submit, it doesn't sound like it.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
It's a rejection. Just slightly more personal.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
It was sent with the first ten pages. Thanks all!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »
Yeah unfortunately it's just a rejection. If she was interested in seeing revisions, she would have said something like "should you revise, I'd be happy to look at it again".

And I don't think I've ever heard of an R&R on just a query and sample pages
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »
Yeah unfortunately it's just a rejection. If she was interested in seeing revisions, she would have said something like "should you revise, I'd be happy to look at it again".

Funny enough I received one. I believe it was a query and 50 pages. Definitely weird to have an R&R on a partial.

Offline lb92

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »

Funny enough I received one. I believe it was a query and 50 pages. Definitely weird to have an R&R on a partial.

Yeah, I received a R&R on the three chapters I sent with my query. The email was long and detailed about what would make the manuscript stronger. Even though she only read the three chapters, it took over a month to overall the entire manuscript based on her notes. She requested the full a couple months later. It happens, but again, it was very clear that she wanted to see it again.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Oh i mean, I've gotten an R&R on a partial of 50 pages. I don't think that's very rare. But on a ten page sample? I've never heard of that
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline LisaMarie

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 06:22:38 AM »
Thanks for the help!

I've got two fulls out right now and I'm anxiously waiting for any feedback that could be coming.

But I think I'm going to query this agent again down the road, as I'm about 3 chapters in on a 1st p YA paranormal. From this agents bio she is more interested in YA than contemporary romances.

:)