Author Topic: Do Agents Reading Your Ms Frown Upon Contest Participation?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
Hey guys!

So I have three fulls and one partial out right now. I'm also participating in The Writer's Voice (on to the agent round Tuesday!) and recently threw some tweets up for #SFFpit. My question is this... Would the agents who already have my work side eye me for participating in contests? I'm kinda new to the contest realm and I'm wondering if I'm crossing etiquette boundaries here. I am still super excited to have gained requests from each of them, but I also know too well the sting of close calls. I don't want to shut myself off from other opportunities, but I wouldn't want to make an agent reading my ms think I'm not invested in working with them. Am I over thinking this one? I've paused querying for now. How many agents do you send your work to before you pause querying and wait for answers?
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com

gckatz

Re: Do Agents Reading Your Ms Frown Upon Contest Participation?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:47:01 PM »
Nah, contests are fair game. If they want to have you exclusively, they need to ask for an exclusive, and they know that. If they see you pitching in contests, they'll just have to take that as a sign that if they want you, they need to move faster.

The only etiquette boundary is that, if you get any requests from editors, you shouldn't sub to them while you are out to agents. That will piss off the agents.

munley

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:12:21 AM »
Hey guys!

So I have three fulls and one partial out right now. . . .  How many agents do you send your work to before you pause querying and wait for answers?

Congratulations on the interest you've garnered so far.

I don't think it is a good idea to pause querying just to wait for answers from pending ones if there are other agents you are interested in.

Online Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 07:17:20 AM »
If the agents look askance at contests, they're highly unlikely to be looking at Writer's Voice and #PitMad in the first place, so it's a self-limiting problem. ;-)

Offline AlythiaB

• Publishing Tips for the Restless Writer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »
Nah, contests are fair game. If they want to have you exclusively, they need to ask for an exclusive, and they know that. If they see you pitching in contests, they'll just have to take that as a sign that if they want you, they need to move faster.

The only etiquette boundary is that, if you get any requests from editors, you shouldn't sub to them while you are out to agents. That will piss off the agents.

Okay, phew! That's what I figured. The Writer's Voice is an agent match contest, so I won't run into the issue of editors requesting pages and I'm definitely not attempting to query them either.

Congratulations on the interest you've garnered so far.

I don't think it is a good idea to pause querying just to wait for answers from pending ones if there are other agents you are interested in.

Thanks, Munley! So you think I should keep querying, too? I guess I initially paused because I'm expecting a reply from one full very soon (she has passed out several responses to fulls submitted after mine, so hopefully, any day now… unless the horrible has happened and my submission was lost in cyberspace all this time…). Also, I'd been combing through my manuscript (yet again) after receiving great advice from my WV coaches. Maybe I will, though!

If the agents look askance at contests, they're highly unlikely to be looking at Writer's Voice and #PitMad in the first place, so it's a self-limiting problem. ;-)

Excellent point! Haha!
Represented by Moe Ferrara, BookEnds, LLC
www.alyconner.com