Author Topic: Finally-First Full Rejection  (Read 2326 times)

Offline lb92

Finally-First Full Rejection
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:52 AM »
I got my first full rejection. Funny enough, this one was the last one I sent.
1 down 4 to go.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
Re: Finally-First Full Rejection
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:30:24 AM »
Aw, that sucks. Did you at least get some feedback?
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline lb92

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »
Yeah, a little. She thought the story needed more work and that she didn't feel engaged by the characters.
Honestly, I'm exhausted. Unless I get an offer or a R&R in the next few months, it might be time to move on to a different manuscript. 

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
It's hard to set something aside, but honestly, after awhile, you'll just feel so much better to be working on something new
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »
Aw, I'm sorry. Rejections on fulls flat out suck.

But I agree with Sarah. There is something super freeing about letting go and starting something new. Heck, that's how I ended up writing the book that got me my agent.

Offline bswb97

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
One of my writer pals is a YA SF author currently agented and on a multi-book deal. While I await results on multiple submissions, she tried to ease my neuroses by telling me these stats:

-She sent 66 queries out
-She had multiple R&Rs over the course of 7 months
-When she finally got an agent, she had 3 fulls out (not including previous full rejections)
-One agent sped-read and made an offer upon notice of representation. The other agent never responded and presumably still has the full in her queue two years later. :)

I know we all read QT and see some people go from query to offer in some insane turnaround time, like weeks instead of months and months. But I think that's the exception, not the norm. So keep chipping away at it. One of my five fulls was just rejected on Friday -- a nice rejection, but a rejection nonetheless. I'm revenge querying this morning...