Author Topic: Mark Malatesta  (Read 7455 times)

Offline drdileo

Mark Malatesta
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:00:32 AM »
This writing coach is getting a lot of buzz, and like any new presence in the writing arena, many are wondering if he's a scam. I checked him out and then listened to his pod casts, ultimately deciding he was the real deal. Just thought I'd share with you that I used his one-on-one coaching call which involved a lengthy questionnaire, my query, the first 50 pages of my novel, and a one-hour telephone conference. I have to tell you that it was VERY worth the fee. I feel that he steered me right, away from my mistakes, and that at this point I'm ready to query anew. He offers extended coaching to some of the initial one-hour clients, but I couldn't afford it. Right now, that is. If my current work catches fire, for the next one I'll be able to justify the expense, which I also feel should be well worth the fee. Overall, it was a positive experience and a bargain.

Offline TerryRodgers

Re: Mark Malatesta
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
He's also getting bad buzz.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?262689-Literary-Agent-Undercover-(Mark-Malatesta)

Patrick also posted something a few years back.

http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=10981.0

His Facebook page (the only thing current), besides showing his girlfriend has tons of references to being a coach and for $97 you can be one too. Infomercials are a complete turnoff to me.

We would love to see your query and how the agent feedback goes while querying. Maybe that will help create a better vibe, especially if you find an agent.  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:10:44 AM by TerryRodgers »

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
What Terry said.

I generally have a knee jerk reaction to someone who charges so much for something that most people can get for free if they just go online, be friendly, work hard and pay it forwatrd (like on this forum, for example)

But, I'm gald you think it was worth it and please please let us know if your query kicks butt and you land an agent! Because we love celebrating here!
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Yes, we are all in for celebrating, and 2015 has been a banner year.  :clap:

Offline Jack_Zipes

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 10:05:03 PM »
Any new updates on the subject of "Mark Maletesa"?

My insecurities as a writer and receiving recent rejections from agents (and yes, the two are related) have done a number on me. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Thus, I check his website and look at his clients' testimonials/reviews of his service and feel "the itch." LOL.

Offline hellowhirled

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 01:26:34 AM »
Hi,

I did the hour call with him. He sends a questionnaire that has a LOT of questions (took hours to answer) about your writing going way back. It makes you think about where you are and how you've evolved.

He was nice, supportive, and straightforward. He helped me with what to focus on in queries and some practical changes I could make in my writing. I had some aha! moments where I thought of what I need to work on in the future as well. He also suggested a query strategy which was quite helpful.

It was a mental boost and I now feel a bit less alone/ridiculous in sending out queries. I'm glad I did it.