Author Topic: Pitch Wars in August!  (Read 138209 times)

Offline Dani Donegan (Cradle)

• Bacchus a noyé plus de gens que Neptune.
    • The Dreaded Writer
Pitch Wars in August!
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:18 AM »
Who's doin' it in August?

I think my MS will be ready by then. I sent my MS out to three people. One came back within a week (blubbering and gushing), one I am almost in the process of swapping last pages, and I'm almost finished with my Beta stage too. Which means a few more edits from advice and suggestions, and it's good to go.

I've also been reading a hella good manuscript from my betas (seriously, dude. This story written by a son-daughter duo is pretty boss... I hope my beta readers reads this). That's right. i stayed up 'till ONE last night reading 'cause I couldn't stop! Loved it. But now I'm tired today lol.

I'm submitting THE ZERO MAKER, since Ashes on Brady Street can't be submitted (it got into #pitchmadness earlier this year with Ashes On Brady Street).

I'm excited.

Who's excited?

HEH? HEH???

CRADLE'S EXCITED :D!

I am stoked to do this again because these contests have like a huge pool of support and friendliness that you can dive right into. If something happens and I can't submit THE ZERO MAKER, I'm still going to be there, 'cause who the heck would miss an author get together like that? There was a wonderful atmosphere in #pitchmadness earlier this year, so I'm excited to see what it will be like this year for pitch wars.  :happy:

My old team leader for #pitchmadness is a judge this year for Pitch Wars, which is super cool. Idk why i'm so excited. IDK WHY. I'm stoked. (More stoked about being on twitter and chatting with authors more than anything). It's pretty freaking awesome.

:D

(Also, I am rooting for all QT members... which means I might spam you with random bouts of exclamation points if you get in. Sorry. That's just how it happens yo).  :cheer:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:20:01 AM by Cradle »

The Zero Maker, YA Horror 63k

Twitter: @A_ChristineD

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
Re: Pitch Wars in August!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »
if my MS is ready i will but it's not looking too good so far.

last year I didn't make it but I got feedback from 2 of the people that I sent to that said they were excited to see what the future would hold for me, and expected to hear about a book deal on my feed soon...

My book has only gotten better since then.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

• The Dreaded Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
if my MS is ready i will but it's not looking too good so far.

last year I didn't make it but I got feedback from 2 of the people that I sent to that said they were excited to see what the future would hold for me, and expected to hear about a book deal on my feed soon...

My book has only gotten better since then.

If you feel it's ready you should totally do it. I mean, what's the worst that can happen, right? (That's what I keep telling myself!) If it isn't ready, there are plenty of other contests later down the road that would be pretty cool to enter.

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
I'm a mentor!!! I'm so freaking excited!

PS: I can't vote for anyone I know (so you guys can't sub to me if I know you on here), but I can certainly cheer you all on!

Offline Falthor

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
it's laying down the tracks and getting the voices right.   every time I think I've got it, something else pops up.  I've gone from my first draft where every character sounds the same, to my current draft where I'm over describing things and turned everyone into a stereotype (which was intentional, just not to the level I have taken it).

I think I'll enter if I have at least half of the book re-written, I figure I can push through the rest in a matter of days if I absolutely need to.  guess it's time to start looking at my pitch again huh?

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
I wanted to enter BOTR but idk if that's too contested out. I wanted to enter it but I'm not sure if I should. I think it'd do well.

What do you guys think?
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Falthor

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »
that's an interesting call...   norally I'd say Go for it X, but seeing as you have several partials and fulls out as well as having to have turned down an exclusive it could be a sticky spot for people.

then again, no one has offered yet, and what you are doing is the equivalent of querying multiple agents...  hmmmmm

if you feel good about any of the partials/fulls you have out there I would say no until you hear from them.  Otherwise I say jump in with both feet.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
that's an interesting call...   norally I'd say Go for it X, but seeing as you have several partials and fulls out as well as having to have turned down an exclusive it could be a sticky spot for people.

then again, no one has offered yet, and what you are doing is the equivalent of querying multiple agents...  hmmmmm

if you feel good about any of the partials/fulls you have out there I would say no until you hear from them.  Otherwise I say jump in with both feet.

I mean I think Sarah did the same thing and she just pulled her ms out when it got an offer.

I personally make it a rule not to "feel good" about a request out or not bc I honestly hVe no clue how the agent will respond.

Idk.
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »
I wanted to enter BOTR but idk if that's too contested out. I wanted to enter it but I'm not sure if I should. I think it'd do well.

What do you guys think?

I'd wait and see who the agents are. You may have already hit a lot of them.

Also, keep in mind PW is a contest where mentors work one on one with mentees to shape and polish their queries and entire ms. If you already have fulls and stuff out and are past the revision aspect, it's probably not the contest for this ms.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »

What do you guys think?

I'd wait and see who the agents are. You may have already hit a lot of them.

Also, keep in mind PW is a contest where mentors work one on one with mentees to shape and polish their queries and entire ms. If you already have fulls and stuff out and are past the revision aspect, it's probably not the contest for this ms.

I guess that's true. I wish I had a MS that was ready for this. I keep wanting to enter. Bleh.

I guess I won't enter. maybe I'll have something new ready next year. Or maybe I won't need to enter any contests next year. If you get my hint.

Offline slightlysmall

• Rochelle Deans
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »
Fairly certain I'll be entering this year. I'm nervous and excited about it but Pitch Wars is probably the best contest for it. Don't mind me if I spend August gnawing my fingernails off, though.

Offline gckatz

• Gwen C. Katz's website
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
Do it! My mentor, Fiona McLaren, is the best!

Offline Falthor

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
well now... seeing that I have set a goal of a complete edit by September and I only need a polished first chapter/query/pitch before then I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess I'm in.

:-)

• The Dreaded Writer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
well now... seeing that I have set a goal of a complete edit by September and I only need a polished first chapter/query/pitch before then I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess I'm in.

:-)

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

• The Dreaded Writer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:34:58 PM »
Fairly certain I'll be entering this year. I'm nervous and excited about it but Pitch Wars is probably the best contest for it. Don't mind me if I spend August gnawing my fingernails off, though.

:cool: