Author Topic: Pitch Wars in August!  (Read 177203 times)

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
Re: Pitch Wars in August!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
Good luck to all of you! Maybe I'll enter next year if I have a new MS. But hopefully I'll have a  agent before then lol
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »
So cradle and X can I count on your continued support to polish the sh** out of my first chapter?  :-)
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
So cradle and X can I count on your continued support to polish the sh** out of my first chapter?  :-)

Of course. :)
WHITE STAG, an internet phenomenon, has been acquired by St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for publication in Winter 2019

Offline stormi0611

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »
I want to enter but I really don't know if I should. I have a couple of partials and a full out =/

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
I want to enter but I really don't know if I should. I have a couple of partials and a full out =/

How many partials? If it's like 4-5 I would wait. But if it's a lower number, I think it'd be fine.

I have 5 fulls and 4 partials out ATM so that's why it'd probably be wrong for me to enter.

Offline stormi0611

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

How many partials? If it's like 4-5 I would wait. But if it's a lower number, I think it'd be fine.

I have 5 fulls and 4 partials out ATM so that's why it'd probably be wrong for me to enter.

Wow, congrats on all those requests  :)
I currently have two partials, one full, and I was also selected for Pitch to Publication.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
I currently have two partials, one full, and I was also selected for Pitch to Publication.

Thanks! It's the first time I've had that many!

Hmm...I think then you'd be okay to enter. Although I don't know much about Pitch to Publication, so if that's going to get you a lot of requests or is a similar contest to PitchWars, perhaps leaving an opening for others would be good.

Offline stormi0611

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »

Thanks! It's the first time I've had that many!

Hmm...I think then you'd be okay to enter. Although I don't know much about Pitch to Publication, so if that's going to get you a lot of requests or is a similar contest to PitchWars, perhaps leaving an opening for others would be good.

I should know next Monday if I made it to the next round of Pitch to Publication. Editors took 100 submissions each and they had to narrow them down to 10 or so. From those 10 they pick one to work with and after that agents get to see it. So I guess I'll wait and see what happens with that before I decide on Pitch Wars.
Thanks for the advice!

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
I hope to be ready.

CradleOfInsanity

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
I'm excited for anyone wanting to do it. woo hoo! I'm guessing this means don't query until then?

Offline Falthor

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
Why?  Hit the ground running, if you pickup an agent before then you don't need to enter.

If someone asks for an exclusive you'll have to deal with it at the time, but what harm could it do. He'll you might even get feedback tgat could help you prep for pitchwars.

Offline Pandean

• Panic in human form
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
Why?  Hit the ground running, if you pickup an agent before then you don't need to enter.

If someone asks for an exclusive you'll have to deal with it at the time, but what harm could it do. He'll you might even get feedback tgat could help you prep for pitchwars.

You can always not grant the exclusive. Most agents are okay with that if you have other requests/queries out.

gckatz

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
The main reason not to query is because your mentor will probably give you a major overhaul and you'll be left in the awkward position of either having to send them the old, less good draft or making them wait. I queried one person during Pitch Wars and immediately got a full request and then had to make her wait for like two months because I was in the middle of revising the ending. It was really embarrassing.

Offline dimple_doo

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »
Hey everyone! New to the query/pitch contests ;-) I was just reading through the thread and wondering what BOTR is?

Offline Falthor

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 03:38:04 PM »
X's book "Bones Of The Rabbit"

fantasy/pirate YA...   good reading.