Author Topic: Is this a good time to query?  (Read 80 times)

Offline mikepellegrini

Is this a good time to query?
« on: October 18, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
It's two weeks till the US presidential election, and a little over a month till the Thanksgiving holidays.  And then I've been hearing rumors of a worldwide pandemic.  Plus publishing typically shuts down in December for the Christmas holidays. Are agents likely to be too distracted by all the events to focus on their queries now?

I'm just wondering if it'd be best to wait till after say January 21st (and at least the election's settled) to query, rather than send stuff out now that might not get agent's full attention?

Contrarily, you could also make a case that it's a great time to query because agents might want to be distracted from current events; reading queries takes them back into those happier, normal times, pre-trump, pre-pandemic.

What's the consensus?

Offline kfcfriend

Re: Is this a good time to query?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:17:53 PM »
I'm not sure what effect impending events will have, but my feeling is that just now agents are quite active.  The rejections are just rolling in  ;D

Offline mikepellegrini

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
Yeah, mine too.  Sadly.

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 02:58:41 AM »
I honestly think that there's never actually a "good" time to query. Is your book/query/synopsis ready? I'd say go for it. (Unless you've written something related to the pandemic. I've heard that agents aren't too keen on reading books about deadly viruses at the moment.)

If you're planning on querying in batches (which I would highly recommend), it'll take weeks or even months for you to get them all out there, and you'll hit a time when things are busier than usual no matter what. A lot of agents will close to queries in December, but many also close in July/August, and some close at random times during the year when they get too many submissions, and four times a year you have a heavy influx of queries because of PitMad requests (plus tons of other Twitter pitch events sprinkled throughout the year), then you have conferences and book fairs and you never know when agents get busy with client work either. The most important thing is that the book is query-ready.

Offline gushags16

« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:59:24 PM »
It feels like the only tough time to query is early December when all the NaNoWriMo novels have just been written and are of course immediately ready to be published.  ;D I hear agents get inundated at that time. But that still just means you're in a queue. I think query when you're ready to agents who are open.