Author Topic: Are there e-book publishers that also help with editing and bio's and format?  (Read 15923 times)

farseer

Re: Are there e-book publishers that also help with editing and bio's and format?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Couldn't disagree more with this:
People respond to color. If you have a good story that's well-written, color and "fancy layouts" will add to the reader's experience. Back 100 years ago some novels had color and most had illustrations. (See the Wizard of Oz.) It's only when printing costs began to mount that the practice was discontinued.

Nowadays, It's just electrons, people, so why not go for it? If you are lucky enough to sell 1,000,000 copies, then I suppose delivery charges might amount to more than a hill of beans.
JP   

Wow. I don't even know where to start. How about with my e-ink reader is B&W. Colour is pointless. People who read a lot on their devices consume books, they want a simple reading experience. As I said, if they want a more indepth experience, they buy the paperback.

Do you even understand about file sizes and delivery charges at Amazon?  Do you know the impact file size has if you do a promo and how it affects your royalty?

And you keep going on that your layouts are superior to anyone else's, but when I look at yours on Amazon, you don't even justify the text and that's just for starters...

farseer

Re: Are there e-book publishers that also help with editing and bio's and format?
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »
This is a really dumb question, but for people who self pub like Farseer but not through create space, do you have to set up your own company to get it sold on amazon?

No. I don't bother with a corporation, but there are tax reasons you might want one. My Amazon account is in my legal name and through that I can publish my pen names.

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
You don't need to be incorporated. All Amazon needs is your banking info so they know where to send your royalties. I also sell through Amazon, and off my own websites.

JP

Farseer: I do believe my layouts are better than what's out there. I read, too, on my Kindle Fire and they look great.

As far as looking at my pages on Amazon, they format it as they like not how I like. The only way to truly see how my ebooks look on a Kindle is to buy one of my ebooks. And I agree that color is not a necessity, but more and more people are reading on tablets and their phones where color does matter add to the reading experience.

Most of my sales are from my websites sites using e-Junkie as the down-loader and PayPal as the credit card processor. I'm thinking less than 2% of my sales come from Amazon. They keep royalties for 60 days.

I think self-publishers need an Amazon presence, but it's far more advantageous to sell from your own sites. At least you know who your customers are, Amazon keeps that info for itself, and the funds are deposited in two or three days.

When I do a promo, I simply send a free download link directly from e-Junkie, no download fees apply.

Color does not take away from the reading experience, it enhances it. 

JP
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:34:28 PM by JohnPansini »

farseer

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 03:22:32 PM »
Farseer: I do believe my layouts are better than what's out there. I read, too, on my Kindle Fire and they look great....

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I use the look inside feature on numerous books, most of them are nicely formatted with text justification, spacing, indents etc yours were all over the place, blocks of text, with boldly coloured titles. I also find your random use of bolded over large text really hard to read. I'm not sure why you feel the need to yell at people? But hey, if that's what your clients want, good for them. Self publishing is all about having freedom and choice. Personally I want my ebooks to look exactly like a bestselling trad published e-book. I study the top books in my genre and I mimic their formatting.

Most of my sales are from my websites sites using e-Junkie as the down-loader and PayPal as the credit card processor. I'm thinking less than 2% of my sales come from Amazon. They keep royalties for 60 days.

I think self-publishers need an Amazon presence, but it's far more advantageous to sell from your own sites. At least you know who your customers are, Amazon keeps that info for itself, and the funds are deposited in two or three days.

I disagree - unless you are saying you make over $100,000/year selling via your website?

Personally I earn 5 figures a month from Amazon and my figures are creeping up at other retailers (iTunes is gaining traction now). Sure Amazon knows exactly who my customers are, and that's fantastic and propels more sales. Amazon's "also bought" and recommendation algorithms are working in my favour and giving my titles added visibility. I also have a newsletter sign up in my novels, and I see a great conversion rate so its not true that Amazon keeps all that data to itself, its just about how you harvest it for yourself. Plus by ignoring Amazon, you limit all your marketing and advertising opportunities.

Amazon might pay 60 days after, but it's still a monthly payment. And if you had ever been trad published, royalties are received quarterly or twice a year. But again its about choice, I'd rather have a 5-figured amount deposited into my account monthly from Amazon than receive $10 within a couple of days from my website.

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
I don't format ebooks professionally, so I have no clients. And after your personal assaults on my formatting, I looked at my ebooks and saw nothing wrong with any of them. People can take a look for themselves: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=john+pansini

I also looked at my ebooks on my Kindle Fire, and they look great. And I'm not shouting, I'm simply driving a point home. This is how I shout:  and they look great!!!

It's easy to attack someone - like you've done to me - when you're cloaked in anonymity.  We know who I am, who are you?

I genuinely congratulate and admire your success self-publishing. But I will not genuflect to it. Compared to yours, my success has been minimal... So far.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:33:16 PM by JohnPansini »

farseer

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
As I said, I prefer to have my books look exactly like a trad published book. You prefer to embrace your DIY-indie-spirit. We each chose the path that works for us and delivers the results we seek. Readers use the look inside function. Often they base their decision to purchase on the sample they read, especially with SPAs due to a reputation for lack of editing, poor craftmanship and wonky formatting. They look at style, voice, if the story grabs them and the level of editing. I happen to believe that readers shouldn't even notice formatting, it should be unobtrusive so nothing detracts from the story. You prefer to shout at them. Readers form their opinion from the sample and their decision will be reflected in sales figures.

You offered to format the OP's books and you said they would be superior to anything else out there. I offered a dissenting opinion. I'm sure the OP can decide for themselves what sort of e-book & paperback they want.

Who am I? Just a writer who joined this site back in 2011. I posted my queries here, my first chapters, and requests for CPs. I made friends, I posted about the excitement of full requests and the pain of rejects. While I don't post alot, I've hung out here for years and those who have followed my journey, know who I am. Now, I am an author who calls writing her day job. Someone who works to understand how Amazon and other retailers work, so I can take advantage of their algorithms and maximise the visibility of my books. I'm just a writer who listens to what readers want, studies those doing much better than me and I keep on adapting and learning. I don't shout at people and no one is being attacked - that's an emotive spin you chose to put on things. I prefer to remain professional, so no, I won't be offering up my catalogue to be trolled by people who want to pull down those making a living in this industry.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:13:00 PM by farseer »

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
I would never troll you or anyone else. And I really do wish you well.

I will do us both a favor and say nothing more.

JP

Offline Tigerbunny

• The War in Serendipity
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
Well, thank you everyone.  What a wealth of information!  Looks like I have my work cut out for me. And here I thought I was done! :)

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »
I happen to believe that readers shouldn't even notice formatting, it should be unobtrusive so nothing detracts from the story.

This is me. My ereader is black and white so color doesn't even work. And the reason I don't read ebooks on my tablet or phone or anything fancier is because I don't want a fancier experience. I want to sink into the story, not be distracted.

The only time I would want color in an ebook is if it was a PB, but PB ebooks are super rare because it turns out little kids and the parents who read to them don't like to read on electronic devices, and actually prefer a physical book.

Or I suppose if a novel had color pictures in it, but for something like that, it's way more likely that I would just buy the physical book.

But, again, this is just me and my preferences. Color does not enhance the reading experience for me.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website