QueryTracker Community
November 19, 2018, 06:10:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Mystery" Synopsis question  (Read 5130 times)
BlackRabbit

« on: September 09, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »

I know that secondary/minor characters should be left out of a synopsis, but I'm stuck! My antagonist is an unseen character throughout the MS, and his identity is only revealed at the very end—it turns out he's a VERY minor character. How do I connect this character to the antagonist in my synopsis if he's not a major player? Do I mention him by name when he appears in the story anyway? Or should I just leave him faceless/nameless until the very end? Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

P.S. "Mystery" is in quotations because it's not quite a traditional mystery.
MichelleG

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »

If it were me I would introduce him in order of appearance however he was introduced in the story.  If his name is not known till the end then that is where I would put it.

For example

Mary's date had the worse breathe ...

When the plumber arrived it was Mary date from the party and his breathe still stank ...

When I awoke tied to the chair I knew the killer was John, Mary's foul mouthed date.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:51:49 AM by MichelleG » Logged

"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
BlackRabbit

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »

Thanks, Michelle! As you're the board's resident mystery writer, I was hoping you'd reply. Smiley
MichelleG

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »

You're welcome.

There are a few of us adult mystery writers here.

"Not  quite a traditional mystery"  - intrigued???

"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
BlackRabbit

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 11:55:01 PM »

"Not  quite a traditional mystery"  - intrigued???

Nothing quite so exciting, unfortunately. The story has a crime, clues, and some amateur detectives, but it's a bit less hard-hitting than a traditional mystery (i.e. more quiet in tone?), if that makes sense.
MichelleG

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 01:00:03 AM »

Is it an amateur or cozy mystery?

Here is a list of categories, not that you asked?

http://www.writersdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/Mystery-Sub-categories-Essentials-of-Mystery-Writing-Session-1-Supplements.pdf

BlackRabbit

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »

For some reason, I missed this reply. That list is fantastic, thank you! And I'd say my story is definitely an amateur/juvenile-YA mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: