Author Topic: Client References  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Cristin

Client References
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »
Hi Everyone! I'm new here, but I hope some of you will offer some input. I've received an offer of representation from a great agent and need to make a decision by Friday. Meanwhile, four other agents are reading my manuscript this week.

I know it's advisable to contact a few of the agent's clients before deciding to work with them, but what do you ask? This offer has come on the heels of an R&R, so I have a pretty good feel for the agent's communication-style and editing strategy. She's had major sales for books similar to mine. I feel like we have the same vision for my manuscript, and she gets who I am as a writer (what a great feeling!). Basically, I think it's a great fit. I'm trying to keep an open mind, in case the other agents decide to make an offer, and I don't want to sign a contract before I've done my due diligence.

What would you want to know from an agent's other clients? TIA

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Client References
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
Ask how responsive the agent is when you're not actively on submission or in the thick of things. Ask how quickly the agent gets your work back to you. Find out how aggressive s/he is when negotiating.

Offline Aubrey

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
Definitely ask how long it takes for the agent to get back to authors on new material to see if it is consistent with the agent told you during the phone call. Also, I'd get a feel for how the agent communicates with authors while on sub--does author get list of editors or a list of houses or neither (all are acceptable, but you might want to know), how does agent send editor  passes (or does the agent), etc. Congrats and good luck!

Offline Cristin

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:22:16 AM »
Great suggestions. Thanks!

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
All the above.
Ask about the agent's communication style. What it's like when you want to try and sell a new book. Ask how much they're in contact with their agent.

Mostly, though, if you just reach out to them, they'll be happy to talk about the agent. Or at least that was what I found. And I was certainly happy to talk about my agent when people have asked me.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website