Author Topic: Pricing Self-published eBooks  (Read 17425 times)

Offline Falthor

• Picture of Me and one of the Twins (Chloe)
Re: Pricing Self-published eBooks
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking Falen. For $10 I'll just buy the paperback.
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

flowerfull

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
I recently paid $10-ish for the ebook version of a new release from an S&S imprint. It was based on the desire for instant gratification. I knew there'd be a waiting list at the library and I was so curious to read the book I didn't want to wait for delivery. Physical bookstores in my immediate area are scarce (the drawbacks of living in a rural area). So that just seemed like the quickest, easiest way to get a copy in my hands. I do prefer physical books for a number of reasons, but the instant gratification is a big motivator for some people. And I just told myself I'd spend $10.99 for, say, a burger and fries, so why not spend it on a book? I am an impatient person though. :)

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 01:51:43 PM »
Personally, I prefer my Kindle Fire. I can read at night, it plays audio books, and I can look up words right on screen.

When people say paperbacks, are they talking about what used to be called "trade paperbacks" or those tiny pocket books? This is how far removed from the print-world I've become. And I don't miss it at all.

JP

Offline Falthor

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
I would guess both but seeing that we are all writers here when someone says paperback I'm assuming the normal smaller variety.  We'd all likely say "trade paperback" right?

There is something great about holding a paperback in your hands but I will admit everything I have read in the last 3-4 years has been on my phone, just because I generally have it with me.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
When I said paper version, I was referring to whatever type of physical version it comes in, either hardcover, trade paper or mass market.
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
I know John's question was specifically about pricing for self-pubbed books, but I find it rather scary to see people saying they won't pay more than five dollars for an eBook, even from a big publisher and well-known author. :eek:

Most books priced high as ebooks are Big 5 Published books, meaning my local library system has them for free. I'm generally in favor of "free" when it can be done legally.

Offline Doggy Teng

• Lara Campbell McGehee, SF and Fantasy Author
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »
I agree with Sarah too -- I'd definitely buy the paperback instead!
But I don't own an e-reader, and have no plans to get one. :wag:  I just have the free Kindle app on my computer so I can read things that are only available as eBooks -- like the book I bought about how to format Ebooks!  (That one cost $5.99, which didn't bother me at all; of course, it was a tax deductible business expense for the press, not a personal purchase! ;D)

And a small press like ours is first and foremost a publisher of print books.  Offering eBook versions is just to give readers the option of saving a few bucks and not adding another physical book to the shelf (and saving paper, if they're concerned about being green).  Also, I believe a fairly large percentage of the audience for our first book is older readers who not only prefer print books, but may spend little or no time on the Internet.  So the long term goal for that book (and eventually for all of our books) is to get it into lots of independent bookstores and libraries.  So the eBook market is probably not as significant for that kind of book, nor would it be something 'bargain hunters' would be looking for.

There is something great about holding a paperback in your hands but I will admit everything I have read in the last 3-4 years has been on my phone, just because I generally have it with me.

While I'll read short stories and articles on the computer (or chapters of a how-to book, like the one about eBook formatting!), I can't even imagine reading an entire novel on any kind of computer screen, much less on a phone!!! :eek:  Since I now have three careers that involve working on a computer ninety-five percent of the time, the last thing I want to do when I'm trying to relax and enjoy a book is to stare at a glowing screen!
 :cbash: 

Offline Falthor

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »
I felt the same way before I tried it the first time too... "the words are going to be too small", "I'll get a headache" etc...

but then you just do it, and it sort of works.  I can read at night while my wife is sleeping without a light, and like I said it's in my pocket for any bathroom breaks or if I just need to kill time waiting for a client or whatever.

I wish I had a tablet or a slightly larger phone, but I don't.  It's really not that bad at all.

Offline Doggy Teng

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
I can see how always having the book you're reading in your pocket so you can sneak in a little bit of reading whenever you get a moment would be nice. :)

farseer

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
Pricing e-books at $8 and over is one of the main reasons the Big 5 think the e-book market is dwindling - it's not, but they are losing market share to indies.

Consumers are pice resistant and let's face it, most people are feeling the economic bite. Why pay such high prices when the paperback is comparable or when large publishers are taking over advertising services like Bookbub? Personally there are far too many good, cheaper books for me to read, I simply won't fork out $8, $10 or $14 e-book. No thanks. I subscribe to Bookbub and every day my inbox is hit with quality bargain titles. And these days it is increasingly full of Big 5 novels discounted to around $2 anyway, more reason not to pay high list prices.

Offline TerryRodgers

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
Personally, I prefer my Kindle Fire. I can read at night, it plays audio books, and I can look up words right on screen.

When people say paperbacks, are they talking about what used to be called "trade paperbacks" or those tiny pocket books? This is how far removed from the print-world I've become. And I don't miss it at all.

JP

As Sarah pointed out there are three types: hard cover, trade, and mass market. Mass market are the smallest size books. Trade tends to be larger in size. Trade is becoming a lot more popular today with many authors and publishers moving toward them. One reason is they are cheaper than hardcover to make. Another reason is when a store like B&N buys a mass market book but doesn't sell them, they have to rip off the front cover and return it to the publisher to get a refund. The rest of the book is supposed to be recycled. They don't have to rip off the covers on a trade paperback or hardcover in order to get a refund.

Offline Doggy Teng

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »
There may be other printing services that do, but I thought it was interesting that CreateSpace doesn't offer the option of the mass-market size in their POD books (roughly seven inches by four and a quarter).  All of their sizes are larger than that; I believe they're mostly standard trade paperback sizes.

Offline JohnPansini

• just me.jpg
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 04:52:27 PM »
Thank you all so much for your posts. :clap: I've learned so much. :up:

Offline violet

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »
Pricing e-books at $8 and over is one of the main reasons the Big 5 think the e-book market is dwindling - it's not, but they are losing market share to indies.

Consumers are pice resistant and let's face it, most people are feeling the economic bite. Why pay such high prices when the paperback is comparable or when large publishers are taking over advertising services like Bookbub? Personally there are far too many good, cheaper books for me to read, I simply won't fork out $8, $10 or $14 e-book. No thanks. I subscribe to Bookbub and every day my inbox is hit with quality bargain titles. And these days it is increasingly full of Big 5 novels discounted to around $2 anyway, more reason not to pay high list prices.

Yes, this. Their goal is to see paper flourish. I see trade e-books priced above paperback - then they (publishers) boast that paperback is outselling ebooks. Well, duh. If you make an e-book $9.99 and a paperback $7.99, most will buy the latter.

But to answer the OPs question: I wouldn't go higher than $5.99 for an e-book ever. And as others pointed out, you're making 35% instead of 70%. Huge difference.

What bothers me is that $3.99 is okay but $4.99 for some is too much. Really? One whole buck is going to make or break a sale? The sad answer is, yes.

Offline Sarah Ahiers (Falen)

• This, too, shall pass
    • Sarah Ahiers
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
I mean, if I want a book bad enough, soon enough, i'll pay whatever
Repped by Mollie Glick of CAA
ASSASSIN'S HEART 2016 HarperTeen
I hang out at Sarah Ahiers Writes
Author Website