Author Topic: Honestly, I'm I really that bad....  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Miss Java

• Kristal Shaff - Fantasy Author
Re: Honestly, I'm I really that bad....
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »
Even if it was a grammar issue, grammar can always be learned and corrected. I would much rather start with a grammar problem than a storytelling problem or a flow problem. Grammar is much easier to learn and correct.

And I'm one of those people that started out with bad grammar; I'd forgotten all of my rules from high school. But each time someone corrected me on my grammar, I used it as an opportunity to grow and learn.

And honestly, the person who told you to quit....shame on them. I'd love to open up his/her early writing and take a gander and critique it.  :m:

Offline Cedar Mountain

• Coming Soon, My Debut Novel!
    • Cedar's Mountain
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »
I saw a few grammar issues but nothing that would detract from the query. It sounds like an interesting book (someday I will break down and read a YA novel) and I wish you the best of luck in landing an agent (or a publisher for that matter). ;D

Writing a good query isn't that easy, as it took me well over three months to write one that I felt accurately reflected what the novel was about. Even test drove it on my blog to see what kind of critique I'd get from my readers.
"To have a bald moment is truly a thing of beauty"

G. B. Miller

I blog at http://cedarmountainnewengland.blogspot.com

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/gbmjrofct

Offline lexcade

• Me & Michael Myers. SO COOL!
    • Going from Nobody to Somebody
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »
YA fiction is FUN. the last several novels i've read have been YA. i reeeeeeeeeeeally wish my teenage experience had been so exciting..........

i'm STILL working on my query 2 years later. i've been trying to sell sell sell but no one's buying with the one i've been using.............. oh well. just gotta keep on keepin' on, right?
Duality - Edits
WIP: Spark
Outline: Untitled Epic Fantasy, Silver Circle (YA urban fantasy), Siren's Song (YA dystopian)
Back burner: Taming The Ancients

http://lexcade.blogspot.com

Offline LateToTheParty

• Listen, kid, we're all in it together.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:04:13 AM »
 :agree: Grow, evolve, set it aside, (if it'll let you) and come back to it. But never, ever quit.  :up:
Critiques should spur growth and improvement. Neither is painless.

I don't do personal attacks, defense/debate of work or grudges.

Remember, my comment's worth exactly what you paid for it. Use it, ignore it or PM-me and I'll remove it. 

Buona fortuna!